What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest?

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I obtained a free forklift load backrest the other day. There were two to choose from. One was just flat steel on edge for the total construction. The one I took is angle all the way around and flat steel on edge just in the middle.

First choice: forklift load backrest for my pallet forks. I've often had loads come back towards me, so this one would be obvious.

Second choice: cut off the long legs, rotate them forward 90 degrees, weld them back on, put a quick attach plate on it, and make it into firewood log forks. The PT pallet forks are almost too narrow for carrying long firewood logs. Unless you balance them just perfectly, they tip off to one side or the other easily when you corner at a high rate of speed. This thing is about 42" wide. Almost double the current PT factory pallet forks. The long legs are about 18-20". Just right for the telephone pole sized trees I harvest for firewood.

Third choice: winch stand and anchor. I could see putting a winch behind this, some pulleys and a fairlead, putting a pointed end on each leg, and being able to force the legs into our sandy soil with the down-pressure of the FEL to anchor it for some pretty substantial pulls out of the small machine. I could also put a plate at the bottom to winch a log onto so I could drag it with the end off the ground. However, I'm not sure I need a winch at this point in my life. As all of you PT owners already know, if you can walk up to a log in your woods, you can probably drive your PT up to it (especially the smaller 400 series units). The few snags or hangs that I've had to deal with, I've been able to put a really long cable on and safely drag the tree down with either the PT or our Suburban and not get anywhere near it. So this choice, while it seems Tim Taylor would approve, is probably my last choice.

I'm leaning towards the firewood log forks. I could always add a winch to it later if needed and still have it functional as forks.

Any other suggestions will be happily entertained! :laughing:

461417d1458345519-what-would-you-make-out-zforkguard-jpg

Attachments

• zForkGuard.JPG
    zForkGuard.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 828
   / What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #2  
If your forks don't have the "backstop" already, that's definitely what I'd do with them. One day it will save your tractor and your neck.

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #3  
I really like the idea as forks. I think you could design easy enough flat stock one for your pallet forks. By the sounds wouldn't you have to cut it narrower for the pallet forks

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest?
I really like the idea as forks. I think you could design easy enough flat stock one for your pallet forks. By the sounds wouldn't you have to cut it narrower for the pallet forks

No. I'd make some hoops for the factory pallet forks to slip into and then brace it with a removable pin up higher on the back. That way they'd be removable.

Hmmm..... thinking about it, I should just do that and I'd have 4 fingered forks with a backstop that's easily removable if I want. Hmmm....

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #5  
A heavy-duty shelf/tray/carry-all for the rear of the PT...

Nope. Don't want anything back there other than a trailer once in a while. I got a carry-all in front.... my large bucket! :laughing:

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #7  
I'm with Rustyiron ... backstop for pallet forks.

When I converted my pallet forks to QA, I cut off the existing backstop which was only a foot high and added extensions to make it 3' tall.

With the solid base that the forks are attached to, it's now around 4' tall overall.

So, I had some time last week, got out the oxy torch and showed my youngest daughter how to cut steel. Burnt the legs off that thing.

Today, I ground the cuts to fit, rotated the legs 90 degrees, swapped them side-to-side and welded them on.

Thinking of putting a quick attach plate on it, but instead, made them pin-able and bolt-able to my existing pallet forks. Saves me a quick attach plate and the existing forks give me some good support. Pictures will follow when I get the bolts. Anyhow, I like it and it only adds about 40 pounds to the existing forks, so I'll not lose much lifting capacity. Makes a nice, wide carrier for logs. :thumbsup:

/ What would you make out of this free forklift load backrest? #9  
Check out the angle when the bucket is curled back. The first backstop I made did'nt have enough angle and would not stop a roll back. I also bent my backstop arms with heavier logs. Had them beafed up. Another thing is the length and strength of the forks. They can get dug in and bend or put a real twist on the bucket frame.

That's another reason I mated them to my existing forks. I'm happy with the angle of those, so the angle on these should be good.