Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Terry has been great. I ordered the engine stand for the Kohler today from PT along with a new wire harness, couplers, hour meter and ignition switch.

I was thinking about draining the hydraulic tank, and possibly using synthetic. Any thoughts on this?

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #13  
I did that. I can't say that I noticed any difference. I was glad to see how clean the tank was at the very bottom.

I put in Mobil synthetic 15W50, but there is no appreciable difference when hot, so I would stick with 15W40.

YMMV.

All the best,

Peter

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #14  
I've been adding Mobil1 to the hydraulic tank each time I do my 50 hour filter change since 2001. So, I have about 10-12 quarts diluting the original factory oil. Can't say I notice any difference because it's been such a gradual dilution. But then again, I can't say I'm disappointed with the way the thing works, either. I'd be curious to look in the bottom of my tank. Maybe I'll dissect a filter this time after I change it.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #15  
I think the only real note MIGHT be the oil running cooler. Seems to be a theory for whatever reason going around that Synthetic keep a device a bit cooler.

I put in the cheapest 10/40 I can find, primarily because my tractor tends to use more oil than Diesel.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #16  
If your thermostat is functioning, how can the oil run cooler?

Confused,

Peter

I believe this is a solenoid. It has a red wire that goes to the starter. Was wondering where I can find a replacement. It is attached to the inside of the of the tub by the starter. Image.jpgImage 1.jpg

Thanks
Frank

The one hose coming off the oil cooler is a piece of cake to swap out, however the second looks like it is going to be a real headache. In the front lower left hand corner of the tub there is a manifold of hoses that tie into the reservoir. This hose appears to be on the bottom row under these here in the picture. I am guessing I will have to take all these hoses off to get to the one I need to take off.Image 2.jpg

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #19  
It would have been nice if PT had hard-piped most of the hydraulics in the engine compartment (except for the point of connections to the pumps and going through the tunnel). Would have save a bunch of room and made the beast easier to maintain.

At a sticking point with one of the cooler hydraulic hoses. It is in the lower left corner of the tub at the reservoir. There are five other hoses. I removed the hose over top of it and one to the side, however I still cannot get a wrench on the fitting. The male fitting of the hose I removed is in the way. Are there special wrenches for this? Real tight spot and afraid if the I were to get a wrench on it, if it slips I will mess up the threads on male fitting directly above. I agree 1000% with you Tim, hard piping definitely would have been better in the tub.