Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning?

/ Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning? #11  
... I am considering a more aggressive tire when I wear these out.

Regards

I would not recommend Carlisle Turf Saver tires like these. I have one on my PT425 that is 3/4 worn out while the three original Turf Masters are 90% after 15 years and 600+ hours. The Turf Saver only has about 400 hours.

Carlisle Turf Saver Tires

/ Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning?
Good to know MR. I'm torn in that I don't want to tear things up when I'm running on the grass, but I probably need a little more traction in the mud, as the turf tires gum up pretty quick.

Hope to get an key switch after work today, I'll let you know how that goes.

Well, after an exhaustive local search, I found the correct ignition switch and replaced it. That was indeed the problem. Starts and runs fine, but except now it won't shut off when I turn the key off. I am thinking there is a loose ground to the fuel interruption solenoid somewhere. Progress!

Regards
Dan

So another update - the engine still runs on after I turn the ignition off at the switch, so I have to give full choke to shut her down. I checked the fuel solenoid ground at the carb, and that shows continuity with the ground terminal at the battery negative, so good ground there. Maybe the switch I have installed is not the correct one and I need to find the right one?

A few days later, I parked the PT for about 15 minutes after an hour of use, and when I went back she wouldn't start. I waited, thinking she was a bit hot and would cool down. 30 minutes later, I tried cranking and the cylinders were frozen. Pulled the plugs and carb, and I could see gas in both places, the cylinders and intake were full of gas. I assumed the float needle was stuck. I did a quick disassembly of the carb to clean the float needle and seat, and clean the fuel shutoff solenoid. I also cranked the engine with the plugs removed to spit out a lot of gas. Put her all back together and she fired, but with much more choke than usual. In fact, she only runs with about 3/4 choke now, any less and it sputters or dies. She still won't shut off with the key as well. I think I need a carb rebuild kit. I also washed the machine, changed the engine oil and filter and the hydro filter just prior to all of this, but I doubt that's had an impact on what I suspect is a carb problem.

My 425 is an older one, I suspect. It has the Kohler Command Pro 25 with all of the pumps mounted to the front of the engine. It has a steel gas tank built into the lid. Here are my questions:

Does anyone know what carb rebuild kit I need?

Does anyone know what ignition switch I need? (they all look the same to me, so the one I put in might not be grounded right, making it run on)

Does anyone think I am way off target and have other ideas?

Thanks!

/ Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning? #15  
I am lazy. Rebuild kits work fine but on some machines the cost of a new carb is only a few dollars more

/ Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning? #16  
Check the model number from your engine first. There's a tag on it somewhere and it will say something like one of these...
CH25GS-68580 CH25GS-68617 CH25GS-68618 CH25GS-68633 CH25GS-68701 CH25GS-68713
If its one of those, you probably need the kit on the middle of this page. It fits several versions of the CH25 (if that's what you have) engine.

Kohler Carburetors and Parts - 4-Cycle - Carburetor Kits

Its $58.00.

For the ignition switch, take the original to any local small engine or lawn tractor shop and get and exact replacement. Or go to tractor supply and see if any of these are exactly the same.
Search Results for ignition switch at Tractor Supply Co.

If you don't already have one, install a fuel shutoff switch in the fuel line between the tank and the engine and use it religiously each time you shut off the tractor.

Thanks Moss. I am putting in the fuel shutoff when I next have the carb off to do a rebuild, once I order the kit.

I went to a small engine shop for the ignition switch and got what we thought was the right switch, but I'll post some pics: there's a very minor difference in one of the tangs on the back of the switch. Not sure if that can be a culprit, or if my fuel solenoid itself has gone bad. Will get this figured out one way or another!

So I looked at the tag on my motor - it says CH730 - 0038. Now to search for the carb rebuild kit for that. DSC_0352.JPG

I also replaced my fuel filter and the fuel lines. I think the fuel lines were rotting away into the filter, judging by all the black bits in the filter.

The machine runs, but only with lots of choke applied. Still thinking I need to clean out the carb again and double check the fuel shut off solenoid.

DSC_0350.JPGJudging by this picture, I also think my new ignition switch is a little off. The left switch is the new switch. Looking at the tab in the 5 o'clock position, it doesn't connect to the switch casing, as does the original on the right. I think this is a ground that enables the fuel shutoff solenoid to actually shut when I turn off the key. If I am right, I still need the correct switch, which I have not been able to find. No part numbers on the original switch, so it's been a scavenger hunt.

/ Kohler Cutting Out - Carb cleaning? #20  
Looking at the tab in the 5 o'clock position, it doesn't connect to the switch casing, as does the original on the right. I think this is a ground that enables the fuel shutoff solenoid to actually shut when I turn off the key.

Check it with a multimeter. I bet that the "G" connection at 5:00 internally connects with the switch casing.

But it doesn't really matter, because the wire that connects to the "G" terminal IS the ground wire, so the keyswitch doesn't really have to ground directly to the frame of the tractor (but I bet it does).

The wire connecting to the "G" terminal is the wire identified as "F" in the diagram from page 41 of the Kohler service manual. The diagram below kind of sucks, as it doesn't show everything (for example, the fuel shutoff solenoid you are talking about is not shown, but it is connected by the same lead that grounds out the magnetos when the keyswitch is in off). A more complete (but more confusing diagram) is on page 35.

Kohler_electrical.png
Kohler Engines: CH73: Command PRO: Product Detail: Engines