Just checking in

/ Just checking in #1  

Impulse

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 (2017)
I've been lurking/reading a few weeks here, thought I would join and give a shout.

I just recently purchased a home on ~1.5 acre lot that has been neglected for a while by the previous owners. I've attached a picture of part of the property to give an idea of what I've got. It has some minor sloping, maybe a couple steeper spots but really not bad. There are other parts that are seriously overgrown. The primary use for a machine would be mowing, but there's going to be plenty of dead trees coming down, new trees getting planted, post holes being dug, material being moved, drive getting graded, general landscaping. At first I was looking at a Ventrac/Steiner, but once I saw the PT and what seems to be a great love for it by their owners, I think I was sold.

I've got friends that are trying to push me towards a Kubota with a belly mower and a 3pt hitch that you can run attachments with. I've got 4 fused vertebrae in my back so looking backwards takes me quite a bit more effort than the average guy. I really like the idea of having everything out in front where I can see it.

I'm leaning towards the 425, but the 1430 with its diesel and a bit more power is trying to grab my attention. Judging by my reading, the 425 would be totally adequate but I still figured I would reach out to see if anyone would have some reasoning why I should go with the 1430 instead. Anyone with a 425 wish they had gone the next step bigger? If it matters, I've got a heated garage to keep it in, so I'm not too concerned about starting up in the cold. Maybe I should throw in that I'm a big fella, about 6'3", 300. Is the 425 going to wince and cry when trying to do some work and having to lug me around as well?

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to joining the PT ranks.

Impulse.jpg

/ Just checking in #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Impulse. Glad you decided to join us here. When you say "425" or "1430" what manufacture are you speaking of?

/ Just checking in #4  
   / Just checking in #5  
Welcome to TBN.

I purchased my PT425 in 2001. I live on 1 acre, but maintain trails and gather firewood on a 20 acre parcel. For us, the 425 was just right. I'm about 6' and at one timed topped 235. I had no problems. A 1430 would come in handy on our larger place sometimes, as the logs can get big. The 425 was the largest engine I could get in the 400 series frame. I wanted that frame size because it could drive through 48" gates and it could also fit between the wheel wells of our pickup truck bed for hauling it to church and the little league park. Now that we have a Suburban and car hauler trailer, and no more narrow gates to drive through, that would no longer be a factor for us.

Anyhow, see if you can find a 1430 and a 425 in your area and sit on them and see of the owners will show you what they do.

/ Just checking in #6  
Welcome! If you end up with a PT, this is THE place to be...!

I've had my 1430 for 1.5 yrs. now. Like you, the 425 probably would've been adequate for me, but I was set on a diesel engine. (With all the quirks/issues of the Robin Subaru engine, I'm glad I went for the Deutz.) This of course is at a $ premium, but I am also glad about my stronger lift capacity; I regularly max out the weight the hydraulics can bear. If money was no object, I might've gone one step up from the 1430.

I still strongly feel that a PT is the best tractor for a landowner who does not perform agriculture.

Cheers,

/ Just checking in #7  
Welcome to the forum!

The ability to look forward is huge, especially with back issues.

Looking at what you have, knowing the Bloomington area, and what you want to use it for, I think that you would be happy with either one. Personally, I love the Deutz engine- very simple, rock solid. Parts aren't cheap, but they are available all over.

Have fun,

Peter

As you get close to the purchase, I would suggest reading the prior discussions on the relative utility of various attachments to get a feel for what you need for your place. Everyone has similar, but different, issues, and I learned a lot from prior discussions that really helped me.

All the best,

Peter

/ Just checking in
I appreciate all the feedback. I have been doing quite a bit of reading in my spare time. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my area with either machine (or any PT for that matter) to go and take a look at. I think what I might do is take a little road trip with my pops out to Virginia and take them for a test drive and hopefully come back with the right choice. In the meantime, I will just keep reading.

/ Just checking in
Almost, but thankfully not quite.