The tire saga

/ The tire saga #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have never had good tires on my PT (purchased used) and as we all know being gentle on my machine is not a character trait I have.

So finally had enough of flats and torn tires and decided it was time to upgrade... At least I hope that is what I am doing.
IMG_2632.jpg
So first, got on the phone with Terry. 4Ply great for steep slopes. 8 Ply too firm for any slopes. 12 Ply forget it (I have 3 12 ply tires in my arsenal). So get 6Ply for my property is the advice from the factory.

So I start looking - lets see, I need 8 tires plus my spares - 11 Tires in all... $200 a tire... well the wife is out at 3K on tires for sure.

I do have good google-fu and I came across this gem. Deestone tires. They are not Carlisel, they are not Firestone, what they are is affordable, and 6Ply which I could not find in either of the other manufacturers.

Catalog I am getting the D405 Deestone. Its a company out of Thailand.

So this is an ongoing saga because a lot has to fall into place.

/ The tire saga
So next I went to the local tire store and setup for them to take delivery and do the mounting plus install innertubes on all tires.

That went surprisingly well, $30 a tire for tube and mounting. Took them my rim and they flipped. Tubes an issue (of course) and my rims look like something from a rusty scrap pile.

So time to freshen the PT. I have decided to sand blast and repaint my rims. Having never done either I figure "What could go wrong?"

So pulled out the pressure washer. Grabbed up my bags of blasting material and off I went. Took a 5 gallon bucket to do 4 rims, so I should be OK to get al lthe rims with the media on hand.

Pulled out me never used before Harbor Freight paint sprayer and learned that I am very good at house painting. The wife, not so happy.

Of course today I have been informed I have to fly to Savannah for a week of scouting for a movie. So I will drop the rims off once finally painted.

So far, just primed... and drying. And yes, that is a rattle can of primer. Ran out of mixed primer and didn't want to mix anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 200
   / The tire saga #3  
Those rims look really nice!!! Who did you steal them from? I noticed they were round.

Ken

PS. You should see the really ugly rims I have that were not good enough to even put on our tractors.

/ The tire saga #4  
Something to consider for next time; sandblast, and powder coat. Way more durable.
All the best,
Peter

/ The tire saga
Hmmm wallet, powerder coat... . wallet, powder coat.... wallet, wife, powdercoat.

The piss poor way I treat my PT this paint job is over extending. And honestly it will be rubbed off shortly. The real reason I did this was because the inside of the tires are rusting up. wanted to get some sort of protection on them.

/ The tire saga #7  
Nice price on those Deestones.. What was the shipping?

/ The tire saga
Nice price on those Deestones.. What was the shipping?

27 per tire going to a tire store I am at a little over 1k for tires and shipping. Add 300 for mounting and tubes.

We will see. Mixed feelings always about off brands.

/ The tire saga #10  
27 per tire going to a tire store I am at a little over 1k for tires and shipping. Add 300 for mounting and tubes.

We will see. Mixed feelings always about off brands.

Thanks.. Not too bad. Deestones seem to have good reviews around the web.