Ever wonder how you did that?

/ Ever wonder how you did that? #11  
If your extractor is still in there, you can worry them out some using the little diamond embedded dentist drills in a dremel or such. If you can't find the left hand drills (HF has a set) just use regular ones and get it to where you can either crush what is left with side impacts/prying with a punch, or pick out the spiral of thread metal.

Was the one you pulled out 1/4-28, or 1/8 NPT?

Worst comes to worst, drill the whole thing out, tap it something like 3/8 coarse and then drill and tap a cut off bolt/allthread for the zerk size?

/ Ever wonder how you did that? #12  
It's been a week...does this mean you've fixed it and are back to getting work done, or are you still trying to find time to wrap this up? Very curious to see how this one wraps up...

/ Ever wonder how you did that?
waiting for delivery of a left handed drill set I ordered.....hoping it comes this week so I can play with it over the weekend......will let you know how I do.....thanks......Jack

/ Ever wonder how you did that? #14  
I wonder if using a little diesel around the zerk would work as a solvent to aid in removing the broken part? It might loosen the rust. Or you might try heating it so it would expand and contract. I've heard that helps, along with using a dead hammer to vibrate the fitting.

I checked the diameter of the fitting by removing one from a different location and the drill bit set I ordered will have three bit sizes that will fit....9/64 5/32 11/64.......so I figured I'd use the smallest size first and if that doesn't do it then I'll try a little heat like you suggest and move up to the next bit size....there isn't a lot of the zerk left inside.....maybe 1/4" in length so if I could just get it to move a little it should come right out........or maybe thats just wishful thinking......haha........Jack

left handed drill bit set came and went to work on it this afternoon......started with the 9/64 size which is bigger than the 1/8 hole in the zerk........drilled right thru with no movement of the zerk.....stepped up in bit size and same result.......hole is bigger but zerk still firmly there.......at this point I realized that the amount of zerk that was sheared off in the hole just isn't long enough for the drill bits to catch anything before drilling out the other side.......so I resign myself that I am going to have to drill the zerk out and then re-tap the hole.......keep stepping up in bit size to do it gradually.......the hole size is 7/32.......when I finish with the 3/16 bit I look in the hole and see the threads poking thru and looking in good shape.....so I run a q-tip in it to clean it out and then try to install a new zerk in it to see if it will catch.......bingo....success.....just to make sure I attach the grease gun to it and the grease flows thru.......so now I tackle the second sheared zerk the same way.......only when I get up to the 3/16 bit the tip breaks off in the hole and I can't get the piece out.......errrggg.......since the bits are strengthened steel I don't really fancy trying to drill it out so instead I remove the bolt holding the cylinder in place so I can punch it put......then back to drilling the zerk out until the threads are visible and checking to see if a new zerk will install.......it does.......so on monday I will head down to the local equipment rental shop to see if they have 2 zerks to match the ones on the pt.......long and drawn out but finally success........still don't know how I sheared them off in the first place.......thanks to all who gave suggestions and advice...really appreciate it......Jack

/ Ever wonder how you did that? #17  
I'd guess it is a 1/4-28 threaded zerk, which should be available at just about any hardware or auto parts store. I just installed several this weekend that had fallen out on my PT425.

thanks MR.....I see lowes has them so I may take a trip there tomorrow for some since I need some lumber anyway.......and crossing off a "to do" list item on sunday is even better then crossing it off on monday :)........Jack

all shiny and new.......almost hate to to put grease in them......haha........final cost.....96 cents for two zerks and a whole lot of time and trouble.......they are 1/4 - 28 zerks......if anyone orders them online make sure you specify short stem as there is a long stem version also......Jack
photo7.jpg

/ Ever wonder how you did that? #20  
I have found the easiest way to get broken Zerks out is Super Outs by Lisle. I am pretty sure that there are other brands of them but this one set has lasted for over 25ish years. I tend to use them on Zerks more than anything.

Kinda look like Torx bits, which may work as well.

LIS62900.JPG