Used Power-Trac

/ Used Power-Trac #11  
My mower deck problems started as soon as I got the tractor and attachments. I believe the spindles were already warped from the factory or their shipping process. I ended up having to replace every spindle and its housing(2 sides and the center) as well as the wheels which never stayed inflated long(replaced with foam filled) and the bolts which hold the rear hard plastic wheels in place. These parts are all expensive, in the first mowing season it costs me $600 to repair a $1200 deck that was brand new and Power Trac would not offer up an explanation or warranty. I also had an engine seize up(some fault in the engine) which the engine manufacturer did honor their warranty on. Not a good starting point for something I spent $10K on is it.

But I do have to say once I rebuilt the mower deck and got the new engine in. I have done alot alot of work with this machine. The rock bucket is great here in New York, with lots of clay and glacial rock. The rototiller has alot of power, but I think it would be better if they made it only 38" wide with the same motor. I also built a backhoe attachment for it but turns out its too heavy to move around without chancing flipping over! I have to mount wheels on it for getting from point to point.

My biggest beef is, the mower deck I got and Power Trac did not honor, I think their design has a problem also. You do not want to hit a root or a high spot in clay with this deck, it will take out your blades, spindles and more and costs you alot of money. I do not mow at the height I normally would because of this. Also their manuals are a joke, you must admit, all attachments come with NO Information whatsoever(kinda strange).

I do like the attachment system, its great and the assortment of attachements. I see now they offer the small backhoe attachment after I called several times telling them I was building my own, wonder where they got the idea? Mine is very different though and I wish I knew they would come out with something.

gotta go!

/ Used Power-Trac #12  
Thanks for the information. We have heard of some others with spindle troubles as well. The warranty issue bugs me, but I'm out of warranty now anyway. Haven't had any mower problems yet. Something you did mention was the lack of manuals. I agree. It was only by reading here that I found out about the grease zerks on the spindles under the mower deck and that I should be using high speed grease. If not for TBN, I would have never known. Perhaps if I had taken the free maintenance course at Tazewell, I would have learned about this, but I didn't have the chance to get there.

/ Used Power-Trac #13  
Cozzon
I don't understand PT's not working with you on the spindle warranty. For machines in the warranty period, my experience and what I have heard from others is generally that they were quick to send replacement parts. Bubenberg had spindle failures, but I think after the warranty period. I haven't had any spindle problems in two seasons with the 6' rough-cut, but the spindles are probably at least bigger, if not a different design. Sorry you've had trouble.
The rear wheels on the decks (and guide wheels on the snow blades) have been a problem for everyone. My deck tires had foam filled tubes. Ultimately, they twisted off the rims. On the snow blade, they're nicely inflated in warm sunny weather, and flat with bead off the rim when it is snowing and dark. How do they know? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Despite some minor frustrations, I've been pleased with the 1845. You're sure right about the manuals or lack thereof. The 1845 manual is good only for maintenance, not repair, and attachment manuals are nonexistent. But, I have some manuals that are 50 pages of silly warnings with no useful information. A good shop manual, written for someone who owns a few wrenches, would be nice, but I don't need one that says not to try to unbolt the mower blades while they are spinning, or advises not to put your hand on top of a post while driving it with the post pounder.

/ Used Power-Trac #14  
I have been trying to find someone with a PT around the Austin TX area that I could get a look at. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
-T