There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #11  
This is not just a member of your family that is ill, but a member of out family as well. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out
Thanks,
More important things to do the past couple weeks. Moved one kid to different apartment in Pittsburgh and took another one to college yesterday. Tractor diagnostics/repairs will commence in about another week. :rolleyes:

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #13  
Mine does that too. If I fill the tank with gas, it runs fine. I'm thinking the fuel pump

That's what I'm gonna try as soon as I get some time... and cash! We just had some college expenses and car repairs.... I'll be cutting the lawn with scissors before you know it! :eek:

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #15  
Replace your grass with tall grass prairie grasses and flowers. Then collect and sell seeds.

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #16  
If it is a fuel delivery issue it should run perfectly for a few seconds after it has sat awhile so that the carb bowl is full. ... Try shutting it off warm and restarting in 5 minutes. If you dont notice a progression from good to worse over a 15 or 20 second interval its not the delivery, but most likely a partially clogged main jet. - It could be a small particle lodged in it. - It could be water in the small well where the jet pulls from.

I know youve discounted water, but crap happens and it only takes a drop. Try this: Start, advance to full revs, and then slam the choke shut. ... If theres water under the jet this will pull some of it through and alleviate the starvation you are experiencing. - If it doesnt help its probably a particle.

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #17  
I would say there is some junk in your main jet. Often if the real estate isn't too crowded you can pull the float bowl off of the carb and see if there is crap in the bottom. Sometimes there is even enough room under the carb to pull the main jet out and clean it without pulling the carb off the engine.

If you are lucky enough to have an adjustable main jet then carefully screw it in counting the turns and turn it back out the same amount it went in. If that doesn't work then try pulling the float bowl off and squirting brake clean through the orifice where then needle goes. Often that is enough to get things going again without taking the carb all apart.

I'm just going to add that if you use the plastic straw that comes with the brake clean can it's a lot easier to direct the spray where you want it.

One more addition. If you put a fuel filter in the fuel line from the tank to the carb often these kind of problems are eliminated.

/ There is no joy in Mudville - mighty Kohler has struck out #18  
That last post reminded me - I had intermittent problems with mine that turned out to be debris in the plastic elbow on the bottom of the fuel tank. It couldn't make it past the 90 angle to travel on to the inline filter, and it wasn't visible looking down into tank. Finally took the tank off, turned it upside down, and blew it out with compressed air to solve the problem. The debris (sealant, gasket particles from cap seal, maybe) would move around and block (at least partially) the fuel flow at times. Might be worth removing the hose where it goes into filter, and blowing air back up into tank to see if any crap comes out. Simple check...

Replace your grass with tall grass prairie grasses and flowers. Then collect and sell seeds.

I've thought of that many times... wife won't have it. She likes a lawn.