Well there goes all my fun

/ Well there goes all my fun #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So was pushing dirt around, probably the most strenous activity the PT faces these days and I heard a Boom, kind of like a balloon going off in a hallway. I then smell oil. Look down and there is a huge puddle. Quickly back up to a safe spot and shut down.

Of course it happened in the tunnel. No way to easily see what died. I have an idea though, one of my wheel motor hoses. Not sure why oil comes out when it is just idling but not going to risk roaching my pumps.

Now I am having my neighbor with his dozer come over and drag me back home :-(

/ Well there goes all my fun #2  
Sorry to hear it. I'm glad that you weren't hurt.

Don't forget the towing bypass valve!
You probably want to consider winching it onto a trailer and driving that back, unless you are really close.
Check with Terry on the towing distance, but it isn't far.

All the best,

Peter

/ Well there goes all my fun #5  
My recollection is that the towing distance is extremely short, like 30' - just enough to get it on a trailer.

Ken

/ Well there goes all my fun
Well, its 100 feet out of the ravine and about a 1000 feet to the shop, through the woods. No trailer can make this. Might try to do a field repair but need to talk with Terry first. Totall unsure of what hose ruptured. Oil leaks when parked and engine running so not sure what system is pushing oil at that point.

/ Well there goes all my fun #7  
IF you can identify the hose, could you temp in a longer hose, skipping the tunnel, just to get it able to self-rescue? It might be handy having a 10' piece of hose with some adapters for troubleshooting/repairs in the future. You'd have to identify the fittings and have a hose made at a local hydro shop or NAPA, I suppose.

/ Well there goes all my fun #8  
Excellent idea. Some adapters so that the hose could be used for multiple situations would make sense too.

Depending upon the situation, you might be able to just use cap or plug fittings to isolate the problem. One would have to be very careful to make sure they understand the situation. For example, isolating just one wheel motor would be bad.

Ken

/ Well there goes all my fun #9  
I have no idea if the power trac is an open center hydraulic system like the majority of our tractors or not, but if it is, then the pushing out of hydraulic fluid is normal as fluid is circulating all the time thru all of the valves.

/ Well there goes all my fun #10  
There's actually 3 hydraulics systems on his, with 3 pumps. The PTO and drive/tram systems are motor control systems. The remaining system (steering, lift, tilt and auxiliary) is open centered.