PT425 VS Bobcat 553

/ PT425 VS Bobcat 553 #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I had the opportunity to work the PT425 about 5 hours side by side with a Bobcat 553 Saturday. Very interesting. They are two completely different animals, for sure. The bobcat was much more powerful and lifts almost 3 times higher. The PT hauled loose fill at twice the rate of the bobcat, but since my bucket was half the size, it didn't matter. If I had a PT of equal size, there would have been no contest. Over the uneven ground, the bobcat could not move very fast, while the PT just oscillated right over everything. The bobcat couldn't dig down very far between passes. It could have been the operator, but it seemed like it just wouldn't go past horizontal too much. We had a huge truck tire sunk half way in the ground. I know I could have gotten it out, but it would have taken a while. The bobcat just pushed up against it and rolled it up and out. But then the tire fell over and the bobcat couldn't get it in the bucket. It was about 6-7 feet in diameter and two feet thick. I slipped my forks under it and I could tip it up on end, but couldn't drag it. So I got on one end and the bobcat got on the other. He pushed while I drove backwards and we carried it like a big bagel about a hundred yards to a big roll off dumpster with an open end. He attempted to push it into the dumpster, but could not pop it up off the ground as it was up against the dumpster. The PT forks were able to lift the tire up vertically, then the bobcat attempted to roll it into the dumpster. That's when I realized the true power of the bobcat... it pushed the giant tire, me and my tractor like a little toy right out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Awesome display of power. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

All in all, the bobcat was very impressive with power and lift, but the PT is much quicker. I wish I could get a larger PT side by side and see how they'd stack up. It would be very fun.

/ PT425 VS Bobcat 553 #2  
Aren't those Bobcats something like 4000 lbs? They're pretty heavy duty versus a PT 425. Besides, try mowing the lawn with one. Doubt there would be much lawn left afterwards! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ PT425 VS Bobcat 553 #3  
Hi David -

You mean something like this? I rented one - they are quite reasonable to rent from the rental places - and I agree - very powerful - but much slower.

ws_98sp_553.jpg

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT425 VS Bobcat 553
Yeah, it was very heavy and dwarfed my machine. It was very fun, though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif