Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
OK guys,

Given all the discussions in this thread , it seems reasonable to start a new thread concerned with monitoring oil temps. Here's a key quote from that thread, provided by 'fourteen'.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . "Hydraulic Oil operating temperature should not exceed 200° F. with a maximum of 180° F. generally recommended. 120° F to 140° F. is generally considered the optimum system operating temperature. High temperatures result in rapid oil deterioration and may point out a need for an oil cooler or a larger reservoir. The nearer to optimum temperature, the longer the service life of the oil and the hydraulic components." )</font>

It seems to me that engine oil temp and hydraulic oil temp gauges are definitely needed. Has anyone done this, and do you have any recommendations on an easy, effective (including cost-effective /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) way to do this?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #2  
I stick my hand over the fan and feel the air. Try it some time. The hardest thing on the machine seems to be mowing and driving long distances with a heavy load in the bucket for hours. Normal loader work doesn't seem to heat it up too much, as half the time the loader is empty, allowing cool down times. Mowing is continuos.

I have thought about engine and hydraulic temp gauges, too. It would be nice just to have a benchmark as to what the normal operating temps are. Then you could see it climb and decrease as you work.

After running my machine hard, I usually run it at about 1/4 throttle for a few minutes to cool down the oil before I shut down.

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #3  

When the hydraulic oil tank on my PT-425 was way too hot to touch after 3 hours of stump grinding, I slipped into the kitchen, extracted the Candy Thermometer from my wife's kitchen tool collection, opened the hydraulic oil tank cover, inserted the thermometer, after 5 minutes it read 180 degrees, slipped back into the kitchen, and replaced the cleaned thermometer!
Shhh!! My wife doesn't know!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #4  
<font color="blue">Shhh!! </font>

WHAAAT??!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #5  
I bet the next batch of fudge she makes will be the best anyone has ever tasted and you will be the only one who knows the "secret /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #6  
Was working the pt very hard yesterday and got thinking about this thread. Put my hand on the side of the hydraulic oil tank, OUCH! Put my hand over the cooler fan. No air, no fan running. Decided to find the trouble today and it was what I expected. I jumpered around the thermostat for hyd oil, turned the key and the fan fired right up. Now for the dumb thing I did. While making the repair semi-permanent untill I can replace the thermostat, I shorted a wire and blue the fuse for this circuit. The manual shows a 10 amp fuse but I'll be darned if I can find it. I looked for one in line, pulled the main connection box and looked up under the dash. I didn't find any fuses, just a 20 amp circuit breaker on the dash but thats not it. I'll be calling Terry in the AM but thought in the meantime I would post here so someone could really make me feel stupid by telling me where it is, right in front of my eyes. Thanks.

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #7  
The fuse fpr the oil cooler fan is just after the wire goes through the hood right at the cooler it is a funny looking fuse holder looks like a terminal for hooking two wires together. Check the wires might not be seated in the terminal like they should and therefore not making contact causing the fan not to turn on.

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #8  
<font color="red"> The manual shows a 10 amp fuse but I'll be darned if I can find it. </font>

Here's a picture of the fuses (10 and 50 amp) on Charlie's 1845, attached to the left side of the wiring junction box. The 1430 may or may not have a similar setup.

Sedgewood

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #9  
http://the manual shows a 10 amp fuse but i'll be darned if i can find it./

I don't think that is a valid URL /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Oil Temp Gauges for both Engine and Hydraulics #10