New PT-425 Owner

/ New PT-425 Owner #1  

dcdtn

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 Power Trac PT-425
I promised an introductory post once I got to use my new PT a little, so here goes...

I picked the PT-425 up from Tazewell on 9/2 along with a mini-hoe and stump grinder. The following day, I went to KentT's and picked up his all eight of his T8 attachments that he was selling. I finally got a chance to unload them and check the machine out today... I must say I am pleasantly surprised! It truly is amazing all the work you can get done in such a short amount of time.

I started with the brush cutter. Cleared the side of the driveway and some overgrown areas that needed attention. It worked better than I expected.

Next I used the grapple bucket to move some downed trees, limbs, and a giant thorny bush I cut down with the brush cutter. Again it worked amazingly well... much better than expected.

Next I used the rock bucket to relocate some gravel that had washed to the bottom of the hill. Very pleased with the transit speed for this task.

Now for the not so good...

When unloading the machine last week, I noticed the hour meter was not accumulating. A call to Terry resolved this very quickly. Turns out some one in the warehouse forgot to connect a wire... Easy fix.

After fixing this a noticed a little wetness on the hydraulic pump below the gas tank. The gas tank was leaking from the threads in the plastic fuel line adapter. Terry said to empty tank, remove, and put PVC cement on the threads. Said he would give me a filter for my troubles. I purchased siphon kit, removed tank, and used blue plumbing PVC cement. After giving it time to dry, it was still loose and easily turned. Thinking I had not used the proper product I got a tube of Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 1 Sealant since it is rated for gasoline.

Long story short the Form-A-Gasket No. 1 Sealant did not work. It was more difficult to turn than the cement but still turnable. After operating the machine for about 3 hours it was leaking so badly that I had to stop. Still not sure what to do? I have some Rector Seal 5 I'm thinking about trying. It's rated for both polyethylene and gasoline.

When I installed the brush cutter, the PTO would not operate. Thought maybe it was a disconnected wire again, but no such luck. Further examination revealed that one of the wires was not properly crimped into the PTO solenoid wiring harness... it was just hanging loose. I was able to get it working, but no way could I make it as good as it should have been from the factory.

Other "concerns" I noticed... At less than 1 hour the paint started to peel of the muffler. Maybe this is normal? Also one of the two loader cylinders has considerably more oil on it than the other. Should this be a concern? Also, I was blowing dust off machine with air nozzle. I was amazed that the cylinder paint would just blow right off!

Now for a couple of pics...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

/ New PT-425 Owner #2  
Try wrapping the threaded pipe going into the fuel tank with about 5-10 wraps of teflon tape. I believe that should have a better chance of sealing. If not, ask for a new fuel tank. They probably threaded the NPT fitting in too far and damaged the threads by expanding them too much.

Don't worry about the muffler. It heats up to 800F, lots of luck getting any paint to stick (search this forum about muffler replacements).

Welcome to the PT family. Sounds like you got quite the haul with KentT's help.

/ New PT-425 Owner #3  
Do we know which engine this 425 has?

Those are nice connectors, all mine are ugly old style crimp radio shack.

Fit and finish from the factory are quite deplorable. Everyone who buys new has some issues of things not being tight, so you didn't get a lemon, you got a common PT issue. Never understood why the can't improve on the fit and finish aspects.

From what I gather, the guys build certain models throughout the year. So 425's in January and 1850's in december sort of thing. Maybe it is related to that.

/ New PT-425 Owner #4  
From what I gather, the guys build certain models throughout the year. So 425's in January and 1850's in december sort of thing. Maybe it is related to that.

So which models are built just before hunting season? Because I got to believe those would be the bottom of the barrel. :D

/ New PT-425 Owner #5  
I use Del City and West Marine for high quality crimps. For mission critical ones, I use the crimps with low temp solder balls in them. For the rest, I use the heat shrink type with an inner adhesive layer. That adds strength, and waterproofing.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / New PT-425 Owner #6  
Welcome again, David!

Glad to have you here, and good to see that you got everything home and unloaded safely! Getting 8 attachments loaded on a 6x10 trailer so they could readily be unloaded was a bit of a puzzle, but I'm glad to see it worked out OK.

Now, to your woes.

1. Concur with the recommendation for Teflon tape on the gas tank fitting. Just make sure that when you wrap the fitting, make sure to wrap it far enough back from the end that a couple threads are exposed. That helps prevent it slicing of a sliver of tape when you screw it in, and that sliver getting into the gas line. If that doesn't stop the leak, I"d insist that Tazewell ship you a new tank. Cross-threading it initially may have destroyed the threads.

2. I hate crimp on electrical fitting and finally broke down and bought a racheting-style crimper. It does a better job, but it's not fool-proof, so I always yank on the new connector to make sure it's firmly connected.

Sorry to hear of of these hassles - it tarnishes the whole experience of a brand new machine! But, I am glad you had the opportunity to see firsthand how useful these things can be! Don't get discouraged - once these initial QC bugs are worked out, I think you'll be a happy camper.

/ New PT-425 Owner
Do we know which engine this 425 has?

Those are nice connectors, all mine are ugly old style crimp radio shack.

Fit and finish from the factory are quite deplorable. Everyone who buys new has some issues of things not being tight, so you didn't get a lemon, you got a common PT issue. Never understood why the can't improve on the fit and finish aspects.

It's a Subaru Robin 25hp engine. Pretty sure it is not fuel injected since it has choke.

/ New PT-425 Owner
Thanks for the advice on gas tank and wiring. PT tech support has been top notch. I was planning to try Teflon tape next based on responses, but when I called Terry insisted on sending a new tank.

I am still very happy with purchase... Did not mean to come across so negative. My advice to those buying new is to take some time testing it out at the factory. That would have found all three of my issues: hour meter, PTO wiring, and gas leak (this may have required a full tank though).

/ New PT-425 Owner #9  
Thanks for the advice on gas tank and wiring. PT tech support has been top notch. I was planning to try Teflon tape next based on responses, but when I called Terry insisted on sending a new tank.

Yay! Terry has been a life-saver for me, and I try to tell him that personally every time I see him face to face!

/ New PT-425 Owner #10  
Yeah, I had several problems with my 425 when I first got it, but everything is fine now and I'm glad I bought it.
Welcome again, David!

Glad to have you here, and good to see that you got everything home and unloaded safely! Getting 8 attachments loaded on a 6x10 trailer so they could readily be unloaded was a bit of a puzzle, but I'm glad to see it worked out OK.

Now, to your woes.

1. Concur with the recommendation for Teflon tape on the gas tank fitting. Just make sure that when you wrap the fitting, make sure to wrap it far enough back from the end that a couple threads are exposed. That helps prevent it slicing of a sliver of tape when you screw it in, and that sliver getting into the gas line. If that doesn't stop the leak, I"d insist that Tazewell ship you a new tank. Cross-threading it initially may have destroyed the threads.

2. I hate crimp on electrical fitting and finally broke down and bought a racheting-style crimper. It does a better job, but it's not fool-proof, so I always yank on the new connector to make sure it's firmly connected.

Sorry to hear of of these hassles - it tarnishes the whole experience of a brand new machine! But, I am glad you had the opportunity to see firsthand how useful these things can be! Don't get discouraged - once these initial QC bugs are worked out, I think you'll be a happy camper.