Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower?

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
PT has a used one listed on their site, at a reasonable distance from me. In searching here, I find quite a bit of discussion on T-8 boom mowers (factory and homemade). The knuckleboom appears to be a significantly different animal. 3 control levers, in addition to lift/tilt on the arms, and knowing Tazewell, use of the Aux PTO.

Do you have to be an octopus or spider to operate this thing? How well does it do? If I could operate it, it would be quite handy for my ditches and road banks.

Thanks!

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower?
Yeah, so did I. One of the slope mower guys perhaps...

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #5  
I had one for my 1845 when I purchased the tractor used it came with the tractor. Only used it for a short time , it was too hard to hook up , very heavy with the counter weight and it was hard to use and it did not do a very good job mowing tall grass and weeds. I probably used it less than 2 hours before I sold it. Concept of it was good and if I would have used it more I might have liked it better and been more efficient using it.

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #6  
Yes, I bought one new and never even used it. The handles still had the shipping electrical ties on them. I realized for what I wanted it for (cleaning up scrub in the woods), it would be too difficult to use. Also, it was not a super heavy duty brush cutter. If I remember correctly, it was good for up to 1". It is not a bad setup for areas with a fairly consistent slope/angle. Someone bought mine and they were going to use it on non-PT equipment.

Ken

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower?
Thanks, guys! I'd be using it in pretty wide open spaces, mowing the banks beside my driveway, the ditch banks near the garden, etc. Mostly grass and weeds -- but wanting to get any small saplings while they are still sprouts. I've been having to pay younger guys to use string trimmers -- those trimmers are tough enough on my arthritic shoulders just trimming in the yard. I can't use them for hours on steep slopes.

So, brush cutting nor tight quarters are not my biggest concern -- which is more about how difficult is it to operate. How are the hydraulic cylinders on the knuckleboom (controlled by those 3 levers) fed? Are they all coming off the Aux/PTO circuit?

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #8  
yes, you temporarily mount those valves on the tractor. If you can basically get away with setting the reach, height and angle and then drive for a bit, it would work pretty well for you. If you are constantly fiddling with the valves, it might get old quick.

Ken

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #9  
I used to work for a road department. We used tractor mid mount boom mowers all of the time. You have to constantly adjust the boom and mower angle. It can be tiring, especially all day, but it was a whole lot better than using a weed whacker. The only other thing I can add is, the tricky part about using the pt is the articulation. If you have it set at certain height then turn the wheel the smallest amount the boom will swing dramatically. So care has to be used. All of this being said I think it would be a good fit for you ken

/ Any feedback on the T-12 Knuckleboom mower? #10  
What might work is a reel mower dangled by a chain and pulled my the chain? It might be more forgiving on adjustments. I could picture having a receiver mount on the back of the tractor or using the front end loader and mounting a "pickup truck" crane/engine hoist. You could use the aux pto circuit to control a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower. The setup could possibly work for a lawn mower as well. Just trying to think out of the box a bit. These would not work on real rough ground or thick weeds. There is a hydraulic sickle bar setup that also could be used but i do not remember how long of a bar they used.

Ken

Ken