Finally got the new grapple mounted...

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted... #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
I have the T-8 QA swapped over, mounted and plumbed in. (Still need to run the PTO hoses up onto the loader arms.) I went to the hydraulics store in Knoxville this morning and stocked up on the needed Faster male hose connections. Based on a great suggestion here, I set the Aux/QA circuit up with two females, which will stay clean because something is always plugged in, and am putting two males on each attachment. Two attachments down, so far, one more with a hydraulic cylinder (snow/dirt blade) yet to go...

So, here's the obligatory pictures of the EA 50" Wicked Grapple on the PT-1430.

29949257710_5d7caf39be_k.jpg

I think this 50" wide Compact size, with its 30" jaw opening is a good fit for this size machine even if this one has about a 60" track.

30160258781_9c0daa548f_k.jpg

29615248944_7338a140d2_k.jpg

The mounting angle of the QA plate appears to be fine. I can put both the bottom jaws and top lid firmly on ground to press down on green, springy brush to compress it, so I'll be able to get the biggest bite. It will actually tilt just a bit further, so this is not at full tilt travel -- which is a plus. I have a strong curl upward from here. The factory hoses are about 6" - 8" too long for MY machine (my quick connects are farther down the arms, in front of the roll-over bar, not behind it, like on my old PT-425). I'll have to figure out where's the best place to put a loop to take up the slack in each of the hoses, yet keep them away from all these moving parts.

30160361431_d15d343993_k.jpg

It has plenty of upward curl for moving brush. I don't think this is curled full up, but I honestly don't recall. EDIT: Looking at the position of the curl/tilt cylinder, there's still considerable "curl up" that could be used.

I really didn't work with it, but I had to go grab a bite of brush off the burn pile, because... well just because that's what it does...

29616244333_821bfe55a1_k (1).jpg

30212268876_8358a4470f_k.jpg

30247221985_0fc92b4e3c_k.jpg

No strain, no mess, no fuss! I think it's going to be a great addition to the tool kit....

Last edited:
   / Finally got the new grapple mounted... #2  
Just looking at that jaw-full of brush makes me drool! :laughing:

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted... #3  
That looks awesome.

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted...
Just looking at that jaw-full of brush makes me drool! :laughing:

Moss, with your work in the woods harvesting locust and such, IMO you REALLY need one. For example if you'll look at the three arched, serrated webs between the "fangs" on the lid, those are designed to clamp and grab a tree trunk from the end, so you can drag it out of the woods, without having to hook up a chain, cable, etc.

484188d1476143673-finally-got-new-grapple-mounted-29616244333_821bfe55a1_k-1-jpg

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted... #7  
Very nice! Do they sell them with T8 attachment plates or did you have it added? I'm getting along just fine with the grapple bucket you sold me, but I'm always adding to the "wish list"!

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted...
I sent them the plate and they added it. BUT, I think they used it as a pattern and can now make their own T-8 plates.

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted... #9  
KentT,

What is the clearance between your tires and the chassis. Do the chains rub on the chassis?

/ Finally got the new grapple mounted... #10  
My only concern is the weight of the attachment VS what I pull out of the woods. With only 800# to play with (at the QA plate), some of those telephone-pole sized trees can get the old PT Pucker going pretty quick with just my logging tongs.

But for brush and branches, I think it would be interesting.