My Trip to Tazewell

/ My Trip to Tazewell #1  

pairodime

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425
My son and I spent the day at Tazewell yesterday. It's a 6 hour drive, so we took advantage of their free overnite deal and were able to get an early start with Scott in the morning.

I knew that they were out of 425s, so my goal was to actually see one and decide whether to order one before the price increase. We spent a couple hours operating the demo 422 and 425 with all the implements. I could not tell any power difference between the two. I even asked Scott if we could set something up so I could tell, and in the end I could see no functional difference.

Thus I was faced with a dilemma: If the 422 would suit my needs, why spend the extra $$ for a 425? I could be taking the 422 home that day and avoid the wait for a 425. I was also concerned that the change to a Robins engine had some uncertainties to it and I could take home the known product right then.

Well, my son and I went off to lunch to ponder on the problem. We had promised my wife (who really wanted me to get a BX) that we would go to the nearby Kubota dealer to immediately "eyeball" a BX2230 for comparison. This was an insightful event because the salesman at the Kubota dealer was the salesmanager at Power-Trac for 14 years. He left when PT quit with dealers. He was very balanced in his views about things and didn't say anything bad about PT.

So with the "check in the block" for the wife and lunch in our bellies we went back to make the final decision on a 422 or 425. I defaulted to the "bird in the hand" and decided that if I could take it home that day, it was going to be a 422. This decision was made at 3 PM. Unfortunately I lacked a trailer (I was unprepared, thinking I was going to get a 425). So Scott called around found a trailer place 30 minutes away. Off we went. Their trailers were no good, and try as we might we couldn't solve the problem before PT would close.

In the meantime, I called the wife to tell her the "good news". She was not happy /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Not about the Kubota, but the lack of a ROPS! My son also wanted the 425, his theory being bigger is always better (he would have left with a 1430 or 1445, since they were in stock). Thus my logic of taking it home that day was blown and with the family against the 422, I placed the order for a 425. Scott was very gracious about all my back and forth decision making /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It was a long day, and the hard part is now just waiting for two months. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ My Trip to Tazewell #2  
pairodime,
I think you made a good decision and I think your reasoning about bigger always being better, at least in this case, was a good choice. I am making the trip to Tazewell next week, from North Dakota, and one of the remaining PT 425's has my name on it. I put "hold money" on it about two weeks ago when they still had 4 or 5 of the 425's remaining. I sure am glad I made the decision to put one on hold when I did.
Could you tell me the name of the motel that Power-
Trac put you up in? I forgot to ask Scott and I can't get ahold of anyone at PT this weekend.
Good luck with your PT 425 and I look forward to your posts in the near future.

/ My Trip to Tazewell #3  
Nice story! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And congratulations. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So the Kubota dealer sounded good, too. I like it when a dealer shows you how good their product is and not how bad someone else's is. Can you give any of your opinions as to why you chose the PT design over the standard CUT design, not specific to the BX vs the PT, but just the basic "normal" tractor with big back tires and a three point hitch vs the articulated design with the implements out front?

/ My Trip to Tazewell
The motel is the Tazewell Fin Castle Motor Inn ph (276) 988-2531. Not extravagent, but clean. They keep very limited hours so you should call ahead and confirm everything.

There were only 2 425s left visible in the warehouse. One was Trebors, yours must have been the other. Try as I might, they wouldn't let me buy either /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ My Trip to Tazewell #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not extravagent...... )</font>

Now, that is an understatement. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They keep very limited hours so you should call ahead and confirm everything. )</font>

Sound advice. When we took delivery of our PT-425, Power-Trac told us to arrive before 9:00 pm. We got there at 8:30 and found the office closed tighter'n a drum. Seems they had changed their closing hour to 8 and neglected to let the folks at PT know.

I called the emergency phone number posted in the office door. It turned out to be the home phone of the owner, who kindly came out and opened up for us,

I have no idea what their hours are these days, but it is probably a good idea to check before you hit the road.

SnowRidge

/ My Trip to Tazewell
MR,
About a month ago my wife gave the go ahead to buy a Kubota. I'd been working on her for about 2 years and she finally said yes when she saw them in person (and got the fine sales talk from the dealer). Well, I'd been really non-specific about what model, so once she said go (which was a big surprise), I had to go about the process of actually deciding! I then learned that it's easier to love them all then choosing... but choose I did, a BX2230, largely because my wife was already sold on it and all the SCUTs seemed to be very similar.

So then I was off to find the best deal I could on a 2230 and was about to pull the trigger when MossRoad, Bob Skurka, Charlie Iliff, and others kept showing up in all the TBN forums mentioning them. A little bit more reading and I was intrigued. What piqued my interest was the 800lb lift capacity (vs the 450 lb of a similarly powered SCUT). Once I got past the "oddness" of a PT (for 2 years I'd been looking and dreaming CUTs), the more intrigued I became.

My view of what to choose, PT or CUT, comes from what you expect the use to be. A CUTs roots are based in farming/agriculture. A PT (albeit came from mining) is focused on the landscaper/nursery business. So for the homeowner with acreage wanting a "farmette", a CUT is probably the machine to choose. Me, I'm a homeowner with smaller acreage, whose wife wants it maintained and landscaped. Given the pricing and capabilities, a PT almost seems like a no brainer.

So once I was really focused on PTs, I then had to get past all the issues of dealer support, maintenance, etc that others have dealt with. I'm no mechanic, but this is where my son comes in, as his interests in these things are way up. (Another story line for my bride on how a PT will create Father-Son bonding!). I think he got more out of the Tazewell trip than I did, and he describes the new 425 engine compartment mock-up we saw at Tazewell as "really cool".

We still need to be patient, but after seeing the price increases posted today, I am really glad we made the trip.

/ My Trip to Tazewell #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The motel is the Tazewell Fin Castle Motor Inn ph (276) 988-2531. Not extravagent, but clean. They keep very limited hours so you should call ahead and confirm everything. There were only 2 425s left visible in the warehouse. One was Trebors, yours must have been the other. Try as I might, they wouldn't let me buy either )</font>
Thanks for the info and I am very glad they did not sell you MY 425. Just kidding, but my don't we become possessive of our new toys. Thanks again.

/ My Trip to Tazewell #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have no idea what their hours are these days, but it is probably a good idea to check before you hit the road. SnowRidge )</font>

Thanks for the advice. I hope to be pulling in to Tazewell by about 1 or 2 pm, but you never know, so I will call in advance and make arrangements for a possible late arrival.

/ My Trip to Tazewell #9  
if you call ahead of time theyll leave the key under the mat in front of the door as i arrived it was 10.00 pm the night i got there they are very pleasant and that too is a understatement and the scenery isnt bad either

/ My Trip to Tazewell #10  
Danny - make sure Power Trac makes your reservation for you so the Fincastle knows the bill goes to PT.