New vs used questions

/ New vs used questions #1  

sinthome

Tractor
none
Hi, I am considering purchasing a used/new Power-Trac with a max budget of $20k, including a rough mower and bucket loader. I have been eyeing used machines on their website and am wondering if there is any known history about them with forum regulars. Is a used, potentially abused, PT1850 going to end in more shop time and expense than actual work time? Secondly, I am wondering if there is another good classifieds to check out. And third, are there any major revisions that should make me think twice about certain models? Are there particular years to watch out for or that received a major upgrade? I will only consider diesel engines, so that precludes any concerns about the tilt angle of the gasser models.

/ New vs used questions #2  
Used is used. You have to look at each one. The Deutz diesels tend to be very reliable, but pricey on the rare occasion that they need parts.

For high hours, you want to be concerned about wear on the pumps and wheel motors.

The tractors have incremental evolution. There aren't particular years to stay away from that I am aware of. Some of the really old models don't use the current quick attach system and have forward 3 point hitches.

PTs turn up occasionally on e-bay and machinery trader.

Good luck.

All the best,

Peter

/ New vs used questions
What upgrades have happened since 2002? Out of the classifieds, this is the one I am most interested in:

"2002 PT1850 w/ Brush Cutter Unit has 0 hours on the motor, a refurbished motor with 1 yr warranty just installed. All new tires, no miles. New throttle cable. New warning beacon on hood. New motor supports. Totally serviced. New arm rests. Several new covers over driver hydraulics. New hydraulic pressure gauge. New seal kit in steering wheel hydraulics. Several new hydraulic pistons. And more."

Sound promising? Hard to tell if this thing was run into the ground or neglected or both, but it seems like a lot of service work to do all at once.. they don't state how many hours it has. But I am curious how it compares to the newest model and if $20k seems like a good resale price for this machine. I am planning on giving them a call this weekend for more info and hopefully some photos. Are there certain things I should make sure to ask about? Thanks for the help so far.

/ New vs used questions #6  
I'd ask Terry at power-Trac. He may know about the various units.
All the best,
Peter

/ New vs used questions #7  
So from what I know, the Pre -2006 1850's had all sorts of different configurations. Mainly the Forward / Reverse control was wire, not hydroback, the engines might be Kubota or Ford, and the quick attach came on in 2002 or something like that. Does the tractor have seat leveling? Quick Attach? Which engine?

I love my 1850, unless i win the lotto I will buy one again someday (maybe, if necessary).

The repairs noted aren't that big of a deal. No 1850 has an easy life in my estimation, they are designed to work on side hills, steep side hills so whomever is buying a 40K new machine has a purpose for it. They 1850 has an extremely powerful engine for the chasis (65HP). I feel this puts an added strain on a lot of parts that seem to come from the 1430 machine line. Not saying this is bad, a machine like the 1850 is a balancing act for sure. The 1850 has minimal lift (only 1200lbs) and minimum height (6ft) which is not enough to clear the side of a pickup truck. You run dual wheels at low pressure on slopes and that can be an issue for tire rolloff / puncture.

There was an 1850 for sale that the owner had passed and it sat for a number of years. This may be it, which would explain the rebuild on the variety of stuff.

/ New vs used questions #8  
So from what I know, the Pre -2006 1850's had all sorts of different configurations. Mainly the Forward / Reverse control was wire, not hydroback, the engines might be Kubota or Ford, and the quick attach came on in 2002 or something like that. Does the tractor have seat leveling? Quick Attach? Which engine?

I love my 1850, unless i win the lotto I will buy one again someday (maybe, if necessary).

Carl, I think your years are off - I think ours are 2003 or 2004. If I remember correctly, we bought them at the beginning of 2007. Saying they had seen some use (and abuse) would be an understatement. They were used to fill a commercial mowing contract to mow the sides of army munition bunkers among other things and run by kids.

Ken

/ New vs used questions #9  
Right. Thanks for aging me more than I thought. Maybe mine has the newer engine or something. I don't really remember any of it except you.

/ New vs used questions #10  
Yes, your engine was later, maybe 2006 or 2007, with hardly any hours on it is the way I remember it.

Ken