New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hey guys:

I was just thinking (uh oh! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)...

I'm forming a mental image of this contraption that is somewhat like a pallet jack, only the wheels are large and on the outside of the frame. Think a big squared U-shape lying flat on the ground, wide enough to fit around a pallet. Large outdoor wheels are on the outside of the frame (probably one on each side near the top of the U, and 1-2 on the bottom of the U, very similar to a manual pallet jack). Inside the frame are pallet forks that are attached to a large vertical hydraulic cylinder, which would connect to the auxillary hydraulic circuit via the quick-connects. So, you could raise and lower the pallet forks from the seat of the PT using the aux hydraulics (or the selector valve in my case). At the bottom of the U just behind the wheels would be the attachment plate. Since it's on wheels and can roll, you'd push or pull it with the PT much like you'd drive a big wagon or trailer with wheels at both front and back. Are you getting a mental picture in your heads?

So, essentially, you could push this contraption up to a pallet loaded with heavy material (like in 3000-4000 pounds or more), position the lowered forks underneath the pallet, with the aux hydraulics you'd raise the pallet, then you could push or pull the pallet with PT. I'd say the lift height should be pretty minimal...a bunch of weight up high would be awefully dangerous.

Not knocking the PT pallet forks at all, but in my case I could only pick up a 600 lb pallet or so. With a sturdy enough frame and a large bore hydraulic cylinder, this thing could pick up several tons, like a pallet of bricks, retaining wall blocks, slate, etc.

I've been able to push a pallet loaded with bricks on my concrete driveway (going in the direction that has a slight downhill incline). I wonder how much weight the PT could push if the weight was on wheels? Probably quite a lot I imagine (there is an airplane tow adapter, right?)

What do you guys think? This would take some heavy materials, but it really doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to build.

L8r!
Dave

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack #2  
Dave: PT makes a forklift tower that isn't on the pricelists but does exactly what you describe except I don't think it has its own wheels, What you propose should work really well. Let us know when you have a prototype for us to test. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack
Here's a manual rough-terrain pallet jack...similar idea. I'm thinking something like replacing the handle with a quick attach plate. There's another one designed for outdoor use, but I can't recall where I've seen it...

http://www.teknion.co.uk/rough_terrain.htm

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack #5  
I don't get it. Dave, what you want is a forklift. You can get forks for the PT remember? The problem is that you need the forklift tower (as Charlie mentioned) if you want to be able to precisely lift things along the vertical plane (so as not to dump your pallet accidentally).

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack #6  
He after the increased weight carrying capacity he could get if the pallet lifting mechanism rode on its own wheels. On relatively flat ground I think it would be reasonably safe. On sloping or rough ground, I'm not so sure.

SnowRidge

Exactly correct. My PT-1418 with pallet forks would lift about 600 lbs...this contraption could be engineered to lift several tons.

Dave

/ New attachment idea: hydraulic pallet jack #8  
Sounds like a Forkster - 3000# to 7 ft, max lift 16 ft, 15 degree oscillation, variable width.... Plus another feature, when you are done, disconnect from loader arms, drive onto the forks, lift yourself up, insert a tongue between your Forkster and pickup and drive off to next job.
Forkster

Well look at that...they've already stolen my idear and I ain't even finished thinkin' about it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is about exactly what I had in mind. That's a steep price though...I'll bet I could build it for much MUCH less...

Thanks very much for the link!

Dave