Post-hole digger / auger improvement

/ Post-hole digger / auger improvement #1  

Trojan6

Tractor
PT-180
Found a simple fix to the problems I was having with drilling through the rocks on my property. Paid $15 to have the pilot point on the 9" auger plasma cut. Trimmed off about two inches of it, so now only an inch has to bore in before the teeth catch. Improvements were dramatic on Saturday after I had it done. I've got two holes that are on a solid shelf I can't get through (24 inches down), but the other six I got all the way down to 36 inches. It took a while, but the little 180 chewed through several layers of limestone and rocks, averaging about one hour per hole. All in all I continue to be very impressed with the machine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stefan

/ Post-hole digger / auger improvement #2  
Glad to hear you are having some luck with our Texas limestone. I've seen some augers with what looked like a spiral drill bit for a tip. Did you do something like that or just shorten and sharpen? 24" down into limestone ought to hold a post. By the way, I really appreciated letting me play on your new machine on the 17th even though it was a wet/muddy day. Its always good to try something out. Now I want one, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif How about a picture of the modification when you get a chance.

/ Post-hole digger / auger improvement #3  
So you've got a PT-180? It's very similar to my old PT-1418 (same engine I believe...Briggs & Stratton 18HP, right?)

If you ever find yourself missing the 3rd hydraulic circuit that the 422's and up have, see my thread from May 2003 on the selector valve I installed on mine...

Dave