Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So it of course could not have happened at a worse time or location.

I was plowing our mile long road (York Rake) as a christmas eve gift to all those on the road (we do not get snow just pot holes). Was turning around and I heard a pop and I could no longer steer. Well, of course, the back of the machine is against a hill and the front of the machine is on the edge of a 40 foot ravine. And I am cutting across the road sideways. I can still tram and the arms go up and down so I start looking for the ruptured hose. And there is none. Not a drop. ARGH. So I go the the worse case, my accumulator or my steering valve. But that analysis does not matter because I am jamming the road. I call my neighbor, the diesel mechanic, and he says we will tow it home. Okedoke. So I back my but up the hillside and disconnect the 8ft York Rake (Did I tell you how hard they are to move when not on a tractor). Neighbor shows up, we chain up and I use my power (no towing) and he uses the truck to steer me. It was slow, but it worked out really well considering the windy dirt road I live on.

Up at the house, I discuss with him my scenario, what i feel has failed and why. He says I should start simple, and check my steering cylinders. I am thinking that is not the case, worse case is that the seal has failed but there still is some steering available.

Well he was more than right. Turns out the nut came off the plunger and the whole rod seperated. So my one cylinder was in complete bypass and that prevented the other one from pressurizing.

now the problem is that the plunger, and the nut, are at the bottom of the cylinder and won't come out with my version of coaxing, I guess I will head to the hydraulic shop on monday, I am sure they have a way to fish this out without much drama.

Oh and the nut came off because (I think) that the last time I replaced the seals I did not use any loctite or whatever on the nut (I was told not to). GUess that was a mistake.

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #2  
GRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!

Well, on the bright side, you didn't go down the 40' ravine. You didn't get hit by a car or hold up an ambulance while blocking the road. You got the machine home. And you've already completed the hard part by diagnosing the real problem. Now things are looking up. :D

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #3  
If you smack the cylinder straight down onto a block of wood the shock and inertia should dislodge the piston and get it moving. This is what the shop will most likely try first. Can you maybe shoot some air in the fitting behind the piston to blow it out?

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix
Tried the block of wood technique, won't budge. Now going to try the air tomorrow.

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #5  
Might be able to pull it out with a hook smaller than the diameter of the bolt if ais does not work. Be careful where yo aim the open end when using the air.

Ken

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #7  
Still no update. I am anxiously awaiting the results of the air blow. It should have moved that plug out for sure if he could stop up the hole with the cylinder rod.

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix
I got it out, I got it out!!!! Woo Hoo.. OK, so I put the rod back in and used air to force it out. Took a good 20 minutes of negotiating the results but it came out.

Downside was that the nut chewed up the top of the rod as well as the piston. Piston I had a spare, rod I had to take to my Hydrualic shop. They laughed and said I should be able to do this myself. Probably right but they ground down the first few thread rows and put a new nut on.

(cut and paste from my other post - sorry but lazy as heck)

/ Hydraulic steering failure today and the fix #9  
Glad you got it repaired! :thumbsup: