Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be on of the boys...

/ Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be on of the boys... #1  

pequeajim

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be one of the boys...

After a fair amount of reading on here about the 28 hp EFI engine and seeing the it was pretty much a painless swap out, I decided to replace my Robin 25 hp that came with my 425 with a new Robin fuel injected 28 hp engine. I was hoping for two things, 1. easier starting in cold weather and 2. a few more hp that would enable me to mow easier on the slopes in my south-central PA yard.

I spent a little time on the phone, (ok, more than a little...), with Kent and then called my local dealer Wes Stauffer Equipment LLC in Ephrata, PA to place the order. Wes is a great guy and I have been buying parts from hims for the past 5-6 years. Always gives me a great deal.

I ordered the version with the larger crankshaft to match the 25HP engine, labeled "AB Normal" in the 425, and it was... Robin makes two versions, the 1-7/16 crankshaft version is the one I ordered which is a direct match. This meant that the geared coupling could be reused from the old engine and Wes would cut the shaft to length and mount it for me. Since I don't have a portable metal Bandsaw, I took him up on it.

I also ordered the Robin muffler kit, heavier version for $179.00, some heavy duty fuel line and 1-SS flexible exhaust.

We pulled the existing "AB Normal" engine out and took it to Wes. A week later he had my new engine ready to go. My brother in law, nephew and I took the truck over there and picked up the engine.

20170128_102114_HDR.jpg20170128_104605_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
   / Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be on of the boys...
Re: Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be one of the boys...

We carried the engine into my shop, (you guys remember when I built that, and place it on a work table.

20170128_105605_HDR (1).jpg

Then our two assistants helped us to clean out the engine compartment, or "Tub" as my grandson called it.

Assistant #1

20170128_111240_HDR.jpg

Assistant #2

20170128_111222_HDR.jpg

End result...

20170128_105212_HDR.jpg

(of course they had a little help from cousin John...

Last edited:

Before installing the engine, we wanted to install the longer fuel line purchased at the dealer so we could easily route in around the other side of the engine to minimize vapor lock.

We then dropped in the new engine using an engine lift from cheapo Harbor Freight taking care to align the coupling properly with the pump.

Attachments

• 20170128_114742_HDR.jpg
    20170128_114742_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 236
  • 20170128_120146_HDR.jpg
    20170128_120146_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 208
  • 20170128_120142_HDR.jpg
    20170128_120142_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 223
Last edited:

It pays to read the manual before doing too much. This is how we learned of the temperature cut off.

20170128_110619_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:

Lots of great help. Started the tractor after sitting out in <28 degree weather. Couple of cranks and it started right up.

VERY HAPPY!

Next task will be to have my buddy at the custom muffler shop fabricate the side exhaust Robin muffler in a way that is secure and it won't get smacked.

After which, I will tie the fuel return into the tank on the top side. I like the 90 degree fitting idea and will run it up from the bottom.

Finally, I'll add the side mount fan.

More pictures to come...

/ Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be on of the boys... #6  
Very nice! :thumbsup:

/ Replaced my Robin 25 HP Because I wanted to be on of the boys... #7  
Nice work! :cool2:

Thanks guys. I'll post more pictures later.

So my little green 425 is sitting at my friend's exhaust shop. This is where the "trust" factor begins... I have to trust hat I have communicated my wants to them and that they understand.

Hopefully, soon I will have my 425 back with a modified Robin muffler and in perfect running condition. I gave him a lot of pictures that I grabbed from this forum, (thanks guys). So, we'll see what he comes up with... :)