Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #11  
For the beverage holder Mr mentioned I had mine where he is talking about but decided that a fire extinguisher was better suited for that area, but a beverage holder is forthcoming. For right now a pocket tee shirt has a good pop holder on it. Now to the important part of your post a way to get the machine from place to place , a good sales pitch to sell your missis on getting a trailor. We got to think of these things you know. Search for one on your own so you can find one of ample size and then start selling the idea to the missis.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #12  
Suggestion: Find a friend who has a trailer, and trade some tractor work for transportation! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You're about to become VERY popular with your neighbors...

Dave

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #13  
Traveling down the road for 40 minutes is less work for the PT than mowing an open yard for 40 minutes!!

Use various throttle settings during the trip and your Kohler will be nicely broken in by the time you get back home!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PS: Be prepared for some finger pointing!! It may help to carry a sign stating: "No, I am NOT crazy!! I'm just a typical new Power Trac owner!!"!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #14  
Rather than renting a truck and trailer each time, how about checking with the towing companies in your area? For this trip though, if it were me, I would drive it there and back.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense
Hi Toy--

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now to the important part of your post a way to get the machine from place to place , a good sales pitch to sell your missis on getting a trailor. )</font>

I had considered that, but with other machine tools, etc., the tractor purchase was only able to be justified for driveway, forest clearing, and septic system installation at our new property.

Getting the trailer would be easy. THEN, I would need a suitable tow vehicle. Total cost of trailer and suitable vehicle would exceed the price of the new house.

Although, I suppose a PT COULD be transported on something less than a race car traler/RV with full bath towed by a Humvee or small semi.

Naw, probably not. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark H.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #16  
Like many others I wouldn't think twice about the wear & tear of driving for an hour or so. Grab a bag of chips, beverage of choice and go for it.

Used trailers can be had inexpensively (<$400), I've got an old 72' snowmobile trailer that I occasionally put my garden tractor on, which is about the same weight at the 400 PT. It's great for short trips. It ended up being free after I sold the two snowmobiles that came with it. I also use it for general yard work behind the tractor when the little garden trailer is too small for the job.

Tim

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #17  
One note on trailers... I'll put my el cheapo garden tractor on a single axle trailer... I have many times. But I won't put my mucho $$$ PT on one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #18  
I just went to Tazwell this week to get mine where they replaced the pivot pin that was bent. I used a 13 ft single axel trailor with mesh wire bottom and loading ramps. Going up there I could hardly tell that the trailor was behind me, it is so light but coming home I could tell that I had some weight pulling behind me. I have a f150 ford short wheel base with a 302 engine, it really wasn't that hard to tow. I think someone on the forum said they towed theirs with a 6 cylinder. A car hauler would be real nice but sometimes a comprimise has to be made, buying a used trailor can save you money and let you buy bigger.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #19  
Although I rarely take my PT-1418 anywhere away from home, when I do I tow it on a 5x12 single axle trailer rated for 2900 lbs (legally rate for 2900 lbs...it actually has a 3500 lb rated axle and 1800 lb rated tires). The PT's aren't much heavier than a big lawn tractor (unless you have ALL the attachments!), so unless you haul it frequently and long distances, I wouldn't be too concerned about hauling it on a smaller trailer.

I'd suggest that you check with your home-owners insurance to see what kind of coverage you have for the tractor. I know for mine, I'm covered in terms of liability and replacement cost of the tractor regardless of where I am as long as 1) I'm operating the machine and 2) it's not being done as commercial business. So, if I tow it 200 miles and help my father-in-law move dirt, it's still covered. However, homeowners insurance can vary considerably, so check with your agent and see what coverage you have. Toys (like 4-wheelers, etc) usually aren't covered, but "tools" used for maintenance of your property (like tractors) usually are, in some shape or form.

HTH,
Dave

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think someone on the forum said they towed theirs with a 6 cylinder. )</font>

Not me! I tow mine with my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK. it's fairly big four--150 hp, but it hardly knows the PT is back there. It does know about the enclosed single axle cargo trailer that the PT rides in, though. It's sort of like pulling a barn door through the air. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Seriously, I see no problem at all with using a good single axle trailer to haul a PT-425. Piece of cake. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SnowRidge