Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
Before moving my new PT425 to our woodlot from our current house (where I spent a day running the machine through its paces making sure everything works before taking it to our remote site), I have an opportunity to help a friend excavate for two small retaining walls.

Thought it might be more fun to tear up someone else's yard to learn how to use a machine that operated differently than the tractor I'm used to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My question is (everyone who owns a pickup and/or trailer can ignore this):

I don't have a way to move the PT other than a rented truck and trailer.

Total cost to do so to his place is about $90 plus fuel each way since we live where prices are high.

It is just under 5 miles to his place, and I can legally tram the PT there and back; probably take about 40 minutes.

Is that a totally daft thought? Seems like the 1.5 hr. total or so would be less wear and tear on the budget than the $180 plus time to get and return the truck twice.

In just running around the block once in our neighborhood and operating all hydraulic circuits (total of 30 minutes) the hydraulic cooler fan came on, and the oil tank was too hot to touch for more than a second or two. Ambient temperature was about 75 degrees.

Some of you will probably realize that I really just want to take a drive with the PT, but I do want to help my friend out. He has no $$$ to contribute due to circumstances beyond his control.

Thanks!
Mark H.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #2  
40 minutes one way is a pretty long time on the road. I wouldn't do it. Too many oportunities to get hit by a car.

If you decide to do it, consult your local law enforcement. They may tell you you need a slow moving vehicle sign, flashers, etc... My PT425 burns about a gallon an hour of fuel. So, take some extra gas for the return trip, as you only have a 5 gallon tank. Also, remember, if it dies on the road, you can't tow it without using the relief valve for towing or you will damage the pumps. Get familiar with the steps to make it towable, should that happen, and do it once or twice. That way you will know what tools you will need and you can have them with you for an emergency. Road flares, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #3  
<font color="red"> Is that a totally daft thought? </font>

I've trammed by 1845 3-4 miles more than once without giving it a thought, daft or otherwise. If we expect these things to run all over the lot for several thousand hours in the course of a good long lifetime, what's the harm in a little road trip now & then?

Sedgewood

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense
Hi MossRoad--

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 40 minutes one way is a pretty long time on the road. I wouldn't do it. Too many oportunities to get hit by a car. )</font>

Thanks for your concern. That's not a problem, though, because the entire trip only CROSSES two roads. I'm allowed to use the 8'-10' wide sidewalk/rollerblade/bikeway!

The only 'road' I would be on are residential streets where al the kids ride gas and electric scooters.

In a similar vein, this is a suburban area, and I pass two gas stations. The high cost I mentioned is because of TWO separate rentals to move as I would be working there several days.

Thanks for the input!
Mark H.

Sedgewood--

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've trammed by 1845 3-4 miles more than once without giving it a thought, daft or otherwise. If we expect these things to run all over the lot for several thousand hours in the course of a good long lifetime, what's the harm in a little road trip now & then?
)</font>

Good point. I may have had a lapse of common sense. Since everyone here in Colorado Springs Suburbia drives to visit a neighbor on the other side of the street /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was trapped into thinking the same way!

Mark H.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #6  
<font color="red"> It is just under 5 miles to his place, and I can legally tram the PT there and back; probably take about 40 minutes.
</font>

Before undertaking such a journey, you surely will have to mount some type of dispenser of cool beverage. Then go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charlie--

Great idea to have a cool beverage dispenser. If you're referring to the hydraulic one, can you give me the PT part number? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm torn between that OR stopping at one of two 7-11s or 1 Diamond Shamrock or 1 Conoco station.

It IS a rather desolate area, having only one gas station per mile, but I may chance the trip without supplies other than CB radio, cell phone, flares, and GPS unit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark H.

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #8  
I was just discussing a beverage holder with someone. I think just to the left side of the steering console would be a great place on the 400 series. It would have to be one of those mounts like you see on a boat. Gimbal? Gimbral? Oh, heck, what is it called?

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gimbal? Gimbral? Oh, heck, what is it called? )</font>

Swingy thingy!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wear & Tear Tramming vs. hauling expense #10  
Since I moved my lights up under the ROPS the old light mount area on either side would be a great place to mount a cup holder.
PJ