Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So as no one is posting but me, figured I would share this repair.

I have been battling rust in my tank for quite some time, and figured now would be the best time to get it tackled. The plan is to cut the top of the tank off and make an access point, sand down the inside and use POR-15 to seal the tank back up.

The results - This will be over a number of days so enjoy...

The tank came out super easy. Remove the battery, disconnect the filters and valve control that hang off the tank, and remove hoses, then take the bolts off and bobs your uncle, you have a tank.

So took the tank directly over to the hose to wash out the remaining diesel. As you can see, it was not pretty. And this picture was after a 20 seconds of me standing there stunned.

IMG_3541.jpg

Next up I found that the area behind the battery was in very very bad shape. The metal is actually impacted (it is 1/8" thick btw). Not just surface rust bot some serious etching. Guess I am getting another can of POR.

IMG_3551.jpg

So took the tank back to the welding table and filled it with water, grabbed my plasma cutter and cut out my work piece. Then I drained the water, and found out that the space between the fill line and the top of the tank was very rusted. More so than the body of the tank, although the bottom of course had a bunch of rust.

Here is the top, you can see the rust. and you can also see the hole I cut...

IMG_3547.jpgIMG_3546.jpg

Finally, just adding a picture of what the tub looks like without the tank.

IMG_3545.jpgIMG_3544.jpg

Tomorrow the inlaws are swinging by for the day so Monday I will get back into it.... pan is

Make the top plate
Power Wash the inside of the tank and sand and grind
Prep and POR the inside and outside
New paint
Put the bad boy back together

Oh, as a fun side project, I am going to drive the tractor, without the gas tank (going to put a fuel hose in a jug of gas and lay the batter on the pumps) and drive it over to my pressure washer. Probably going to find some petrified stuff in there as the oil and gunk is so thick.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #2  
I hope you are not using gas in your jug to move it.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #3  
And wazzup with the poor baseball player lying underneath the jug?

>Beats the heck out of me! :drink:

That's an amazing set of pictures. Thanks for sharing. You always seem to be able to shatter my complacency on how my PT is doing. I'm heading out to my tank to check the underside of the lid with a dental mirror.

All the best,

Peter

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts
Peter, you will notice it in your filter. If you are not seeing any gunk in the pre screener or the screw on, you probably don't have an issue. Remember we get 50 inches of rain a year and 9 months out of the year it is damp. We live in the cloud bank level on the mountain.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #5  
It kinda shocks me that a metal tank with a petroleum product sloshing around inside it can rust like that.

Its a number of reasons, 9 months out of the year the tractor is in the clouds. And I am sure I once transferred water with my diesel and never properly got it out.

Got the new lid cut out, drilled and tapped the mounting holes (used 1/4" 28 thread as the normal thread is too course for 1/8") Welded the filler neck on (not photographed yet) and applied the POR primer. Outside of my engine issue should have this all buttoned up tomorrow night.

IMG_3556.jpg

So, finally got it all back together tonight. I will say it is amazing how easy it is to get the tank off the 1850. Going to have to remember that next time I need to work around the engine.

Anyway, A couple pictures of the tank. Also a picture of what a typical day looks like. I do not have a barn or enclosed shed, just a carport which is open to the elements.

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 106
   / Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #9  
You living in the clouds...

Nice job on the tank.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #10  
Carl,
RACOR Spin-On Series Diesel Fuel Filters/Water Separators | West Marine
Nice job. How about adding this? Raycor prefilter.
IMG_0088.JPG
It constantly removes water from the diesel. You can also add a fuel preheater to help on those winter days.

I have it on my CAT3126 that sits more than I would like to help get the water out of the diesel.

All the best,

Peter