PT422 is great!

/ PT422 is great! #1  

emr

Tractor
Power Trac PT422
We've been using our new PT422 a fair amount recently for at my tree care company. I have no idea why these are not being marketed towards our industry. Great little machines..... But I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
20170215_111154.jpg
Here I am loading Cottonwood logs into the back of our Ford F550 4WD.
20161213_114725.jpg
Hauling branches and wood out of a back yard.

I thought I had more pics on my phone but I guess I don't..... I am very impressed with what this machine can do and no turf damage at all! I just wish it stated better in the cold.

/ PT422 is great! #4  
We purchased 1430 back in 2001 for our tree care service and used it often. Mostly stopped using it as we had difficulty in transporting it to and from locations. Needed something smaller, more agile and bought the Giant. Great machine but pricey.

/ PT422 is great!
It's funny that you mention size and ease of transport. Those are two of the main reasons why we bought the 422. We were comparing it to the Vermeer mini skids and figured the 422 would be smaller, lighter, easier to transport, and easier on turf. So far that has all been true. I'm sure the mini skids can lift more weight but that's about the only plus that I see. Mini skids are about twice the cost as the 422. The bigger articulating loaders like you have seem to be great and seem to be the way our industry is headed but getting one of those would have meant getting a new trailer for it and we were concerned about getting into tight yards with it. For our company, light weight and small foot print is key. We just load our 422 on the same trailer that we use to pull our Vermeer 352 stump grinder or we put it in our 10ft dump trailer. We have lots of options with that machine. For a two man company, having options is also key.

/ PT422 is great! #6  
Back when we first got our PT425 all we had was a full size pickup truck. I bought the loading ramps from PowerTrac, took off my tailgate, made some tubes and pins to be able to lock the ramps to the bumper for safety when loading, and I'd frequently back the PT425 with the 60" mower up into the pickup truck and take it to the little league or church to mow. Or I'd put on the large bucket with the small toothed bucket nested inside that with the pallet forks nested inside that and take it out to our remote property to work on the trails, or just the bruch cutter to mow.

Sometimes a small machine is just right! :thumbsup:

/ PT422 is great!
We bought the ramps with the idea of hauling it around in our pickups too. Honestly, we're a little nervous driving it up into the box. We have plain Ford F150's but they are 4x4 and seem kind of high. In also concerned that we have the 6 foot beds so the machine would have to ride on the tailgate. I've seen ATV's being transported like that but they don't weigh as much as a PT. Any thoughts on hauling in a shorter box pickup?

/ PT422 is great! #8  
We bought the ramps with the idea of hauling it around in our pickups too. Honestly, we're a little nervous driving it up into the box. We have plain Ford F150's but they are 4x4 and seem kind of high. In also concerned that we have the 6 foot beds so the machine would have to ride on the tailgate. I've seen ATV's being transported like that but they don't weigh as much as a PT. Any thoughts on hauling in a shorter box pickup?

Can't help you there on the short box. Our's was 8' and I didn't trust the tailgate. It was a 1985 Chevy 4x4 with an aftermarket steel bumper. I welded pipes on the ramps and pipes on the bumper, then I'd slip an "L" shaped piece of rebar through the pipes, just like a giant door hinge. It is quite steep on level ground, so I'd always look for a berm to back up to, to lessen the angle of the ramps. But at home, we had no such berm. So.... pucker up buttercup... YIKES! :laughing:

If I'd put the rear hitch of the PT just kissing the front of the bed, all 4 tires were well inside the bed. The 60" finish mower rear wheels would rest on the back of the bed, as I recall. The rest of the mower would hang out about 2' at most. The buckets would rest nicely on the rear of the bed, too.

I guess you'd have to measure from rear of hitch to front of front tire and see how long that distance is.

We did that for about a year until I bought an 18' car hauler trailer. I can take the tractor, 60" mower, 48" brush hog, two buckets, pallet forks, 60" power angle snow plow, just plain everything I'd need with me on that one trailer. Even after that for a few years, for single purpose trips, I'd still just load the PT into the truck bed rather than hooking up the trailer. When the truck got retired due to rust and 2nd child, we switched to the car hauler trailer and a 3/4 ton van. When that rusted out, we switched to a Suburban.

/ PT422 is great!
I measured and if the machine was as far in as possible the two front wheels would be right in the middle of the tailgate. I'm just not sure how strong those cables are that support the tailgate. I believe they make beefed up versions of them as well. So far our two trailers have done the job but I could easily see a need for hauling with the pickup bed. Time will tell.

/ PT422 is great! #10  
Personally, I suspect that it is too much for the tailgate. The tailgate load limit is much lower than the 422, especially once you factor in dynamic loading, aka bumps in the road. You have to worry about the strength of the hinge, the cable, the attachment pin(it is in just sheet metal), and the gate itself, plus the effect of going over a bump and smashing the tailgate into the inertia of the tractor.
An ATV weighing less than 1000lbs can easily put a static load of 600lbs +/- onto each cable, during loading. (Tailgate plus ATV weight.) http://www.ridertailgate.com/loading-truck-bed-using-ramps-s1/

Oh, and those calculations assume no dents in the tailgate, and a pretty steep loading angle.

All the best,

Peter