Lifting height 422 vs 425

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
The 425 has eight more inches in lifting height than the 422. What is different between the two? Is it in the cylinders? Do they have the same FEL? I could use a few more inches on my 422.
Thanks
Frank

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #2  
I could use a few more inches on my 422

Same here. I have been about 4" too low on a number of very critical situations.... (lesson learned: easier to load heavy machinery in a uhaul truck instead of a 16' budget rental truck with a PT422).

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #3  
I believe the arms attach at different points on the machines, for one thing. I'm pretty sure my 2001 425 had the same lift height as the 422 back then.

You could always give Terry at Power Trac a call. They can tell you the differences pretty quick.

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #4  
Lift height is over rated, a small ramp will adjust that. Reach is the big issue neither have enough, so deal with it for what it is. My trailer could be loaded with both and i could load from both sides and the back. To try to load a pick up truck is stupid because you have to shovel it off, and a trailer would haul over a ton and dumped and it would haul the PT to where i needed it.... jim

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #5  
I believe the arms attach at different points on the machines, for one thing. I'm pretty sure my 2001 425 had the same lift height as the 422 back then.

You could always give Terry at Power Trac a call. They can tell you the differences pretty quick.

Per Terry, it is a totally different set of lift arms, with different mounting points and geometry. I went through this with my Mossroad-vintage 425, when I was replaced the warped lift arms on it...

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425
Was hoping it was something simple like different hydraulic cylinders.

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #7  
So what are some of the tasks you'd like higher lift height for?

When I first got mine, I was very concerned because I couldn't load over the side of my pickup truck. But after 16 years of ownership... I've never had to load over the side of my pickup truck!!! :laughing:

Turns out, I rarely haul loose material off of my property. I haul it in all the time in the form of mulch, stones, horse turds for the garden, etc.... but I never have to load the truck, only unload it. And no matter what the lift height, you can only get the bucket a couple feet into the back of a pickup anyway. So any tractor is useless for unloading loose material from a pickup.

So got to thinking about it shortly after we bought the PT425, and seeing how useful it was, and hauling it around in the back of the pickup to (as I've mentioned many times before) Little League, church, remote property, etc... we bought the car hauler trailer.

Now THAT is a useful trailer. I put 2 x 12 sides on the front and take it out to our remote property to get black dirt for our home and friends' homes. I can load it from the side or drive right up on it and load it. I can put a couple yards of dirt on the front of the trailer and the tractor on the back and bring it home and use the tractor to unload it off the trailer. I also unload limestone, mulch, etc... that I have loaded at the gravel pit or farm store.

Just recently, I acquired a guard off of a forklift, cut off the long legs and angled them forward 90 degrees and welded them back on. Then mounted it to my pallet forks. Now I've got a wide, 4 finger fork that is much more useful for wide logs and cut rounds than the original pallet forks. They're just pinned on, so easy to remove if I need to go back to the narrow forks.

Here's a picture of unloading firewood with those forks from the car hauler trailer. Works great!

503317d1490398547-lifting-height-422-vs-425-a-mossroadpt425_firewood_trailer_forks-jpg

Attachments

• MossRoadPT425_Firewood_Trailer_Forks.jpg
    MossRoadPT425_Firewood_Trailer_Forks.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 791
   / Lifting height 422 vs 425
I have some pallet racks in my barn. I would like to raise my racks high enough where I can store some of my larger equipment underneath the first rack, and store my wire and other supplies up on the racks. I need about 4 inches to get it where I need it.
Love the picture Moss.

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #9  
I have some pallet racks in my barn. I would like to raise my racks high enough where I can store some of my larger equipment underneath the first rack, and store my wire and other supplies up on the racks. I need about 4 inches to get it where I need it.
Love the picture Moss.

Ah, then lifting height is a problem in that situation.

/ Lifting height 422 vs 425 #10  
A 5" ramp on the floor move it where you need it...... jim