PT 425--10 years

/ PT 425--10 years #1  

Red Zebra

Silver Member
Tractor
'07 PT 425
Ten years ago I joined this community after researching a do-all tractor for our little piece of property. My PT was delivered July 07 after a trip to Tazewell to see one first-hand and finalize the decision to buy. Overall I'm satisfied with the tractor as it is a true labor saver. The point of this thread is self affirmation :D and to show some of the mods/farkles that ended up on the tractor. Hopefully I can give back to the PT community as I am lousy at being a regular contributor. :eek:

Attachments: Forks, bucket hoe, brush cutter/finish kit, material bucket, cement mixer, auger, 60" finish mower, rock bucket, and small grapple. The only attachment that did not meet expectations was the 60" finish mower. Worked like a charm on flat ground with short/medium grass but bogged down in taller grass or slopes (see attachment mods below).

Mods (see pics): Steering wheel spinner knob, Quick Fists for hand tools, tool kit canister, exhaust heat shield, carry box, 2ft PTO jumper, fire extinguisher, water bottle holder, side tub/cage fan, 2" receiver hitch, and rear tub crank shaft access port. The access port added for ease of finding TDC for 500 hr valve adjustment. Not visible: Folding saw, large knife, hatchet, and BFH (BIG HAMMER) in the carry box.

Homemade implement/attachment mods: Small 4cf excavating style bucket, modified 3 pt. landscape rake (for manicuring gravel driveway), 22" hydraulic hedge cutter (we have about 1800 feet of hedges), and swapped in a White 2.5" motor on a 13" pulley for the 60" mower.

Current hours: 875. 725 actual running and 150 hours non running (I left the key on--doh!).

Maintenance: New air filter every year--regular cleaning every few hours when mowing. Oil/filter every 25 hours--10w-40 Syn. Hydro filter every year--or recommended 50 hour interval. Grease fittings every 5-10 hours depending on use. Dry lube joints every few hours.

Issues: Fuel line leak while mowing--no fire (see extinguisher mod for JIC). Engine fuse harness replaced when the factory harness developed a short. Bent one of the pallet forks--used heat and repeated application of a BFH to massage it back to spec (note: how it was bent is not relevant to you bunch of jokers ;)). Cut the RF tire with the brush cutter--I don't know how....but it never happened again after moving the deck out 2 inches using the adjustment holes on the deck. Repaired/reinforced brush cutter deck when stress crack developed at the leading edge/corner on each side (see previous deck adjustment). Broke one brush cutter blade (note: brush cutter blades take issue with trees over 4" diameter).

Not many hours on the tractor given the years but it has been a tremendous asset. Here's to another 10 years. :beer:

Jim

Attachments

• PT1.jpg
    PT1.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 396
  • PT2.jpg
    PT2.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 462
Last edited:
   / PT 425--10 years #3  
I need to add a tool box and extinguisher to my 422. Plan to put toolbox on a swivel of some sort so it will stay upright when the lid is opened.
Can you elaborate on the TDC port mod.....pics?

/ PT 425--10 years
Can you elaborate on the TDC port mod.....pics?

You can see the port on the rear tub if you zoom in on the picture. I'll get a close up if you need. Essentially I cut the rear tub and welded in a 1/4" slice of 1.25" black pipe that lines up on the crank shaft nut. The port allows for the socket extension to line up with the crank. Hold the socket just behind the port, attach the socket extension to the socket, and you're good to go. Here's how I did it:

-Cut the tub after lining up with the rear crank nut. I used a plasma cutter after shielding the motor--see welding below.
-Use hot nail to melt through the plastic cover tabs just over the crank nut--don't let it fall inward behind the cover.
-Weld in the slice of black pipe. Wrestle in a piece of leather/welding blanket between the tub and engine cover when welding
-Paint when cool.
-Zip tie small piece of 1/4" metal fabric/screen over the small section of engine cover that was removed.

I did the first valve adjustment between cutting the tub and welding in the port. Then its only a matter of cutting the zip ties to move the fabric to get access to the crank nut for future maintenance. There is a TDC index mark on the flywheel but its hard to see and line up properly due to the engine cover. I used the soda straw method as a visual reference instead. With the exposed crank nut it's easy to use a ratchet/socket to jog the crank back and forth to find TDC.

/ PT 425--10 years
Plan to put toolbox on a swivel of some sort so it will stay upright when the lid is opened.

Let us know what you come up with on this. I use a small bungee net to hold the contents of the box--a swivel would eliminate the need. The tube/canister on the rear of the cage holds my tool kit in a 7x12" zippered tool pouch. The box has been my favorite mod as there is no space to carry stuff like powered hand tools, rope, chain, etc. for various projects.

/ PT 425--10 years #6  
I put a lot of stuff on the arms of my 1850. The lid is too heavy to add a toolbox that would need to be removed everytime I fuel. But the arms are looking better and better as the days go by....

/ PT 425--10 years #7  
I think anything I add to my machine will get destroyed no matter where I put it. I put the fire extinguisher on the hood directly behind the seat and managed to rip it off without ripping through any part of my head, neck or torso... how'd I do that?

:confused3:

I can't put anything on the rear because of the rear exhaust. And I can't put anything on the arms because there's not enough room once I take into account full travel of all cylinders, arms, etc... I'm contemplating a chainsaw scabbard on the side of the engine compartment, but am pretty certain I'll rip that off as well. I frequently find myself squeezing the machine through places I couldn't possibly walk through. I think with our property, even at the farthest from my truck, I'm only about 1000', so a few minute's walk and I'm back to the truck.

/ PT 425--10 years #8  
Well, based on how long it took for me to do the exhaust mod you're in for a long wait to see what I come up with :(

Hoping sometime this summer.