Back from Tazewell!

/ Back from Tazewell! #1  

dannygw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power-Trac PT425 purchased May 2004, John Deere 1025R , Dec 2013
We got back home from Tazewell with our PT425 and attachments late Saturday night. I have just been to tired and too busy to post. We drove about 1600 miles to Tazewell, spent a half day at Power Trac and drove another 1600 miles home, all in 4 days time. I do not have any major projects scheduled for the PT425 as yet, but still have plenty of small things to do. So far I have been hauling some sand and dumping it into a foundation for my garage I started last fall, then got caught by cold weather and was unable to have the concrete poured. That should be done in about 2 weeks. Then I will start building the garage/storage barn (30' by 50'). I should find some uses for the PT425 during that project.
I met SMJ and his wife last Friday at Power Trac. They was there looking at the diesel's and ended up ordering a PT1445. I'm sorry I didn't have more time to visit with him and his wife, but we went separate ways for our tour/demo/service class.
The Power Trac plant is very impressive and very professional. We met Scott, Christie and Eddie, but did not get to meet Terry. Scott took us out to the PT demo area they had set up, and we tried out several implements for the PT425. The tractor and the implements, with the exception of the rotary tiller, were better even than my expectations. I went ahead with the purchase of the tiller, but with some reservations as to how well it will perform. Every rear mounted tractor rototiller I have used works very well because you can slow down the tractor speed and really till the soil. With the PT, it is difficult to go slow in reverse. Also, Scott told me not to use float when tilling, that it did not work well. So, if the float does not work well, then if will be difficult to till on any kind of uneven ground because you will have to continually adjust the depth manually. I will have to try it out and will post my results.
Picture attachments to follow.

/ Back from Tazewell!
This first attachment is of the Power Trac demo area. The red trailer is the diesel demo trailer set up for SMJ to try out and the green demo trailer is of the PT425 unit I was able to demo.

Attachments

• 424884-PT8-2.jpg
    424884-PT8-2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 316
   / Back from Tazewell! #3  
Whew! That's a marathon drive! I'll check out your pictures a little later. Congratulations on your purchase. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Back from Tazewell!
Picture #2 is of the PT Rotary Tiller.

Attachments

• 424892-PT6-2.jpg
    424892-PT6-2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 279
   / Back from Tazewell! #5  
Danny: Congratulations, both on your purchase and surviving the drive.
The tiller on my 1845 is bigger, but I think quite like the 425 version. I also was advised that it tilled better if not in float, but I found that not to be true. [425 tiller users, please chime in.]
I have found that a slow pass forward, followed by an even slower pass backward, all in float, and I'm usually at max depth and well tilled, and have erased my tire tracks. You'll find that you can creep either way really slowly when you get used to the pedals, but may be more comfortable after you put in some heel blocks (described in one of the recent threads.)
The fun's just beginning.

/ Back from Tazewell!
Picture #3 is of the PT425 and attachments loaded on the trailer just outside the Power Trac warehouse.

Attachments

• 424899-PT9-2.jpg
    424899-PT9-2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 292
   / Back from Tazewell!
Picture #4 is the same as Pic #3, just a closeup of the trailer and tractor/attachments.

Attachments

• 424904-PT10-2.jpg
    424904-PT10-2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 276
   / Back from Tazewell!
Just in case anyone was wondering why I am in the house on the computer doing these posts instead of out playing with my new toy, it is because the temp in Bismarck, ND right now is 37 degrees with light rain.

/ Back from Tazewell! #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bismarck, ND right now is 37 degrees with light rain. )</font>

Now I know some folks who'd think that was a poor excuse to stay inside, but I'm with you. I never liked motorcycles or tractors unless it was dry and 40 degrees or better. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Back from Tazewell! #10  
Congratulations!! You'll soon be out tearing up the countryside!! Meanwhile, go out to the PT-425 and go over it from stem to stern. Check everything! Tighten everything! Check all fluids (my battery fluid was very low!)! Grease it! Consider the items I detailed at :

this post !

Have fun! By the time the weather clears both you and your new PT-425 will be truly ready to go!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: I shortened the appearance of the long link. MR