Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
While driving through Woodstown NJ today, I saw someone trailering a PT-425. It is the first time I have seen one other than my 422 and another I looked at in Maryland. I wish they were more common.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #2  
Back in 2001 when I was interested in purchasing, I found a landscaper with two 425's and a 1430. Then I saw a 1425 with backhoe behind a house, a 425 driving down the sidewalk in a little town west of here, all withing a couple months. Haven't seen anymore anywhere since. Hmmm.... maybe I did see on more 1430 somewhere on a trailer around here. They are a niche machine, that's for sure. A great big homeowner, estate owner, landscaper niche! :laughing:

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #3  
Why do you think that is?

I recently purchased a farm and have a 5100 JD for my big work. But I've realized that I will likely need/could really use, something smaller. I was thinking merely of a smaller tractor, but then again, I'm never accepting of simply status quo. I began thinking more about the jobs I suspect I will need to do rather than how I can do them and realized that neither a tractor nor a track loader really fit the bill. Although, the CTL was closer, I still didn't feel that it was really hitting the mark.

Somehow, I finally noticed these, and am intrigued. But... in all fairness... it does make me wonder. Why, if they are 'all that' aren't they more common? Is is purely inertia and societal norm?

I'm just beginning to look at these as a potentially viable solution to my expected smaller and tighter driving jobs. But... I really would like your thoughts on why there aren't more of these in use? I, personally, have never seen one. I live in the middle of 'horse country' and in my mind... they would appear to fill an 'around the barn' niche which would be invaluable. Especially in tight quarters.

I've only seen them via YouTube, but if you know of anyone in the Lexington KY area who has one and might be willing for me to contact them, I'd appreciate it. I am likely a year or so out from purchase, however, I had been thinking I was going to purchase a Zero-turn... and this might be a viable alternative with more potential utility.

The likely main 'driver' would be my wife, as she will be doing more of the 'odd aesthetic jobs' in all likelihood.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #4  
IMHO, the company's approach to marketing and lack of interest in a dealer network contribute more to the limited distribution than the machine. Family operation, loyal to a stable staff and community. Not a knock, they've chosen a scale for their company.

The machine is simple, well built, and well supported by the company and community (forum). The attachment pool is deep, quality built and durable when used appropriately. The price cannot be beaten, pound for pound the highest utility value in applied power.

They are unusual looking, few and far between and do not excel at straight farming (row crop tasks) or traditional landscape maintenance tasks (commercial / residential mowing)... By that I only mean a dedicated farm tractor is better suited to row work and a single purpose mower is more effective at straight up mowing.

Where the PT really shines compared to a utility tractor or compact skid loader is terrain handling on one hand and sustained speed operations (mowing for example) on the other. While a skid steer may out work a pt in flat ground limited space applications like loading a dump truck... I'd rather lift that load on sketchy ground or questionable angles in a pt than any other machine...and when it comes to mowing ...id rather ride a moving barbed wire fence than finish mow with a bobcat...a belly mower on a utility tractor is fine for big grassy areas... Right up until you want to do anything else with the tractor...especially on uneven ground...first remove mower... The PT will damage less turf and operate more comfortably than either machine in most tasks....especially if you upgrade to a suspension seat!

I make my living with a power trac 425 and a handful of other compact niche machines, backing up farmers, contractors, utilities, government agencies & landscapers and others when their conventional equipment is too big or lacks the flexibility to apply power precisely in tough terrain with a low impact touch.

A pt 425 with a mower, 4n1 bucket, utility grapple and whatever other thing or two you need like forks or rake will be less expensive than and as easy to master as a high quality zero turn(pt&mower only for $comp) or loader/mower and attachments on a quality utility tractor.

Further, with a $300 qa plate +$100 on flat face qd adapters off ebay, your new pt can run any mini skid steer tool available at the local rental yard or home Depot... Trencher, stump grinder, auger... No problem, no compromise.

I'm adding a second pt, have converted a dozer and a toro dingo to carry pt tools and am adding a second crew... I don't even advertise.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #5  
I have to agree with agjones. I've owned PT's for over 15 years. Currently, I have a Kubota L3901 tractor, Kubota ZD-1211 zero turn, eXmark Lazer Z, and Power Trac 425 and 1845. I also have many attachments...mower, brush cutter, tiller, post hole digger, large bucket, small bucket, grapple bucket, 4-in-1 bucket, blade, wheel trencher, lift boom, forks, mini-hoe, potato digger, utility grapple.

IMHO, Power Trac is great for maintenance use. It excels at bucket work on lose materials and doesn't tear up the yard. The mower isn't as good as a zero turn but it's close. On rough terrain or hills, it's better. Having all attachments out and front easy to see great...as is the quick attach set up. The basic design is MUCH safer than conventional tractors. I've almost turned my conventional tractor over twice and I'm very careful. The local Vet got the sleeve of her shirt caught in the PTO of her tractor. Not pretty. Turning over and PTO dangers are seldom a worry with a Power Trac. I've had limbs hit me in the head on a conventional tractor but not on the PT with it's built-in canopy.

Another feature with Power Tracs that most people don't mention is it's use for minor duties. For example, the 425 is similar to an ATV in that I can jump on it and run anywhere quickly. I'd never crank my tractor to carry the garbage cans to the curb or run over and see the neighbor.

On the other hand, a Power Trac would not be my first choice for any heavy ground engagement. Want to plow a garden, use a conventional tractor. What to build a road in tough terrain, use a mini-x. Want to dig out a pond, use a trac loader. Even with my equipment, I've rented a trac loader and mini-x in the last year. A Power Trac could have done those jobs...but so could a shovel. Time plus wear and tear on the machine is the issue. Using a 425 to dig out a basement is possible (it's been done on this site) but not advisable. I respect my machinery enough to stay within reasonable limitations.

Some people say a Power Trac is like a swiss army knife. I don't quite agree with this analogy. In my experience, a swiss army knife will do a lot of things to a fair degree, but won't do anything well. It's better suited to emergency use or "I don't feel like walking to the shop and getting the proper tool" use. But Power Trac will do some things really well (bucket work, mowing, basic lifting duties with the forks or boom pole), some things moderately well (post hole digger, wheel trencher, potato digger) and some things only fairly well (tilling, blade work, digging with the bucket).

If I could have only one machine and lived in flat country, it would be between the 425 and a Kubota BX for home owner duties. I'd probably stick with the Power Trac. In any type of rough terrain, I'd definitely go with the Power Trac.

The Power Trac is not as well built as the Kubota. The hydraulic filtering is much less sophisticated and suction based (not ideal, especially in cold climates). It's single speed, a compromise between ultimate ground engagement power and travel speed. The lack of a dealer network is a big problem for some people. But I wouldn't be without one.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #6  
We have a mixed equine/bovine operation. The Pos are just fantastic utility tools. Need to pick manure? Put the large bucket on, grab a rake and in a few minutes the arena is clean. Mucking out stalls? You can drive the PT with the bucket at least part way into any stall, and toss in manure in from anywhere in the stall.

I brush hog the thistle down after the pasture mature. Riding a fence line and trimming around electric fences is straightforward with a PT.

I use the tiller to turn the manure pile to make compost and to till the garden. It's great.

Need new paddocks or three rail fence? With a PT I put up 800' in five days. By myself. I used the post driver to put the posts in, the forks to drop boards along the route, and the large bucket to hold a generator and compressor. (Fire safety!)

Yes, it's terrible at plowing.

I agree with AGJones; I think that the company is happy cranking these out as a sideline to their mining business.

Now that I have owned a PT, I can't imagine me running a farm or ranch with out one. They are really useful, and the low height, means that hopping on and off it is really easy, for say feeding a row of stalls.

You do have to be willing to service it yourself, but other than that. They are great, and on hillsides nothing comes close.

All the best,

Peter

Why do you think that is?

I recently purchased a farm and have a 5100 JD for my big work. But I've realized that I will likely need/could really use, something smaller. I was thinking merely of a smaller tractor, but then again, I'm never accepting of simply status quo. I began thinking more about the jobs I suspect I will need to do rather than how I can do them and realized that neither a tractor nor a track loader really fit the bill. Although, the CTL was closer, I still didn't feel that it was really hitting the mark.

Somehow, I finally noticed these, and am intrigued. But... in all fairness... it does make me wonder. Why, if they are 'all that' aren't they more common? Is is purely inertia and societal norm?

I'm just beginning to look at these as a potentially viable solution to my expected smaller and tighter driving jobs. But... I really would like your thoughts on why there aren't more of these in use? I, personally, have never seen one. I live in the middle of 'horse country' and in my mind... they would appear to fill an 'around the barn' niche which would be invaluable. Especially in tight quarters.

I've only seen them via YouTube, but if you know of anyone in the Lexington KY area who has one and might be willing for me to contact them, I'd appreciate it. I am likely a year or so out from purchase, however, I had been thinking I was going to purchase a Zero-turn... and this might be a viable alternative with more potential utility.

The likely main 'driver' would be my wife, as she will be doing more of the 'odd aesthetic jobs' in all likelihood.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #7  
I had a long talk with Terry about business 6 months ago. Mining is hurting very very bad. But the PT Business is expanding. Thus the updated websites and such.

/ Saw a Power Trac PT-425 today #8  
I had a long talk with Terry about business 6 months ago. Mining is hurting very very bad. But the PT Business is expanding. Thus the updated websites and such.

I was wondering about that... underground mining in that area of the country is slowing to a crawl.