Wheel Motor Leak

/ Wheel Motor Leak #1  

Clarke

Gold Member
Tractor
PT425
Left front wheel motor on my 425 started to leak at 38 hrs. Not a bad leak just a drip that makes a mess on the wheel.
Called PT to order hydralic filters and wanted to discuss the wheel motor problem. Kieth took my order for filters and we discussed the wheel motor. When he found out it was a warranty issue he dropped it like a hot potato. Told me he would discuss it with Terry and get back with me that day.
Well the filters arrived in two days. Has been a week and no word from PT. Had the same problem with my treadle problem saying they would check with the engineers etc. and promising to call back and you never here from them. Power Tracs customer service in the warranty department really needs a good overhaul. When I bought the machine they assured me trouble shooting over the phone would not be a problem. I guess after they get the money and you drive away things change.

Anyway, I removed the wheel a couple of times to clean up the mess. I ran the pt for a few hrs yesterday mowing and loading and the dripping of oil at the wheel motor seems to have stopped. The question is: Has anybody had wheel motor leaks that stop and start and what kind of repairs are necessary.

sg

/ Wheel Motor Leak #2  
I have found that PT in general is not good at returning calls, even when they say they will. An the other hand when I have called back and got the right person things worked well. I think the failure to return calls is just a characteristic of the organization.

/ Wheel Motor Leak
I would rather have them tell me when they will have a solution to the problem and I will call them back. That is easier then me waiting for a call that never comes.

sg

/ Wheel Motor Leak
Worked with the PT today for 3 hrs. wheel motor still leaking but not as bad. Will running the machine with the leak ruin the wheel motor.

sg

/ Wheel Motor Leak #5  
<font color="red"> Will running the machine with the leak ruin the wheel motor.
</font>
No, but keep an eye on the oil level in the reservoir. A low level there can cause major damage.

Have you figured out where the leak is? If it is at a fitting all that may be required is to tighten the fitting. If the leak is at the shaft seal the motor will have to be rebuilt or replaced.

/ Wheel Motor Leak
Took the wheel off to clean it a couple of times. Checked the connections no leaking there. Oil drips out the bottom. I don't know were the shaft seal is. To see exactly where the oil is coming from I would have to remove the wheel motor.

sg

/ Wheel Motor Leak #7  
If the shaft seal is leaking, the oil will be dripping out around the shaft. Also look for a hose or fitting leaking and spraying oil on the motor. If the oil is leaking out the bottom of the motor or around the shaft, disconect the two hose, remove the four bolts holding the motor in place and call PT to get a RGA # and return for repair. Should take about 10 minutes to remove.

I have not hade a problem talking to Terry, although sometimes he is tied up talking to others trying to help them find leaks. Keith only handles parts, not service or warranty.
EB

/ Wheel Motor Leak #8  
I don't know if this is your case but sometimes you can have a fitting leakin up stream from where it is dripping, and it will follow the hose down and drip onto the wheel unit. The fitting will be tight enough to just be seeping out . If that is not the case you could try blocking the machine offf of the ground and taking that wheel off , clean all the oil off and have someone tram it as you look for the leak. If you try jacking it off of the ground make sure all wheels are off of the ground before you try it and block under it good. Hope it is a simple fix. They did some warranty work on mine and was very nice about it.

/ Wheel Motor Leak
I was going to call Terry today but instead he called me /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I have made arrangement with him to get the seal replaced. I have to delay repair till next week because of my dependence on the PT for my landscaping chores around here. It amazes me how I ever did without this machine. I have three huge hemlocks coming this weekend. After I plant the trees I can get the motor repaired.

sg

/ Wheel Motor Leak #10  
Good deal. I'm glad to hear they're going to fix it, because those wheel motors are not cheap. I've had to replace a wheel motor in my 14 year old machine, and it was a bear to get off. Here's what I did:

1) Jack up that side of that tractor and put blocks or something stable under it.

2) Remove the wheel.

3) Assuming yours has the same type of wheel hub for a tapered motor shaft (most likely), take the huge wheel hub bolt off.

4) Now for the hardest part: Tighten a 3 jaw gear puller (or something similar) onto the wheel hub. Once you have it about as tight as you can get it, whack it square with a 2-3 lb sledge hammer. It should pop right off. If it doesn't, try tightening it some more, then whack it again. This sounds ridiculous, but think of it as knocking the tractor off of the wheel hub rather than knocking the wheel hub off the tractor. I struggled and struggled with this...I had a 10-ton porta-power ram trying to push the hub off. I tried for around 2 hours to get the blasted thing off. A neighbor came over and whacked it twice with a 2 lb sledge hammer, and it fell right off. Duh! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you don't have a gear puller, you can get the screw-type pretty cheap (like < $20) from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, or somewhere similar.

5) Then take the 2 hoses lose, remove the four bolts holding the wheel motor to the frame, and you should be good to go.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless you want an oil slick in your backyard or garage, when you disconnect the hoses from the wheel motor, connect them to together (get a 1/4" male JIC to 1/4" male JIC fitting from Northern Tool or a local hydraulic supply). The wheel motor hoses are lower than all but the very bottom inch or so of oil in the hydraulic tank. Just like water, oil will leak down to the lowest point (just much slower). If you don't hook the disconnected hoses together with a fitting, you'll come home the next day to find all the oil that was in the hydraulic tank on the ground or your garage floor. Trust me on this one...I found this out the hard way! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck,
Dave