Help, No forward motion!

/ Help, No forward motion! #1  

coolconnection

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723
Using my power-trac 425 today to move some wood mulch around and I was backing up and it wouldn't stop. Thank goodness I was going slow but no neutral, no forward and NO STOP! It is stuck in reverse, tram pedal doesn't do anything but make it go faster in reverse. I had the tram pump replaced a few years ago and the old one did not feel like this when it went out. Any ideas?

/ Help, No forward motion!
It is hydraulic tram activated.
Well talked to Terry at tazwell. It's the main pump again. That thing is a bear to take out because all of those hoses and draining out the oil. What a pain.

/ Help, No forward motion! #5  
I feel your pain.........specifically my knuckles feel your pain.......I remember saying how the heck did they ever get some of those hoses in there.......besides taping and numbering each hose the best thing I did was take pictures of it all as I was disassembling.......can't tell you how many times I looked at those pic's when I was putting it back together again......Jack

Well I got the rebuilt pump and connected all the hoses and made sure pump still had oil in it and put the rest back together. Tried to purge the air out of the lines and nothing. Absolutely nothing comes out of the bleeder line. Disconnected some hoses and filled them with oil and still nothing. Loosened the filter and made sure oil was in it and the hydraulic line and still nothing. I know the pump is turning because I pulled back the lift lever and the arms went up an inch or so. I'll call Terry back but if someone has any ideas between now and when I talk to him I'm listening. I really need to mow my grass. Thanks.

/ Help, No forward motion! #7  
Did you fill the line from the filter to the pump with oil, and allow it to prime by sucking in more oil? (Slow crank, no spark) The motor lines already oil filled, right?

It sounds to me like it can't prime itself. I assume that is plumbed correctly.

All the best,

Peter

Did you fill the line from the filter to the pump with oil, and allow it to prime by sucking in more oil? (Slow crank, no spark) The motor lines already oil filled, right? It sounds to me like it can't prime itself. I assume that is plumbed correctly. All the best, Peter
Yes that line is full and I also removed the top hose and filled the pump as oil drained out as I connected hoses to it. Thanks for the replies.

/ Help, No forward motion! #9  
The lack of oil in the bleeder line means that the charge pump for the variable volume pump isn't pumping oil.

If the input hose is full of oil, I can't think why a functioning charge pump shouldn't be pumping oil. I'm stumped. Terry?

All the best,

Peter

Terry had me lightly pressurize the main oil holding tank with air to see if forcing some oil in the pump while cranking it over would help prime the pump but I didn't have any luck doing it. Maybe new pump is bad I don't know.