Identify this older pt?

/ Identify this older pt? #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Help.

I recently acquired this pt... The owner got it when he bought a fencing company out...

He said he thought it used to have a kohler in it... But there's a 18hp vanguard in it now.... Or there was until this morning... Any way body width is 22" and it has a flat gas tank built in the cover, manual lever controlled pto and a 3pt manual attach. Cable controlled treadle....no serial number removed when rattle can painted jd green.

I didn't see a way to pay pics from my phone... So I'll have to post then edit...

Attachments

• 0520171546a.jpg
    0520171546a.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 291
  • 0520171548.jpg
    0520171548.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 216
  • 0520171547.jpg
    0520171547.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 201
  • 0520171546b.jpg
    0520171546b.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 244
Last edited:
   / Identify this older pt? #2  
With the location of the key switch and throttle and choke levers, I'd say its older than my 2001 model year.

With two steering rams, it was probably a 425, as I think the 422 had only one ram.

I've never seen one with "Power Trac" cut into the engine cover like that, nor with handles in the cover like that.

Also, my 2001 has the quick attach.

/ Identify this older pt?
Great, thanks for the response. The lift cylinders are being rebuilt the other hyd seems good. Any chance you know about the danfoss wheel motors? Or if there's any drawbacks to the handle vs switch pto?

As far as the repower, I have a predator 670 on the shelf as a backup to a couple of honda I have in service....or I could stuff another diesel in one of these...

/ Identify this older pt? #4  
My 1999 pt 422 has the dual steering cylinders just like the 425's do. It has the quick attack like the new ones and the controls and key location are the same as the new 425 and 422's are . I believe the quick attach probably started being used on the 422 and 425 starting in 1997 or 1998 not sure. My 1845 pt built in 1996 has the 3 point attach.

/ Identify this older pt? #5  
I think it is a PT-418, which is the predecessor to the current PT-180.

Why?
18 hp engine
Manual quick attach
Front end looks closer to the PT180 design than PT-422
Engine controls on center console.
No hydraulic cooler.
Forward mounted engine with oil pump at rear matches other PT-418 pics.

/ Identify this older pt?
Thanks for the replies, keep em coming...

My pics may miss some details...

There's on oil cooler, fan was removed by po.

18hp engine is a repower... But may be the same hp as original... Unknown.

The tram pump, cable op'd is on the flywheel side, tandem pump at rear of tub...

I'll try to find some comp pics.

I'm mostly trying to figure out how much re-power this thing can take...

Might send some pics to Terry, by fax or telegraph or something. ;-)

I think it is a PT-418, which is the predecessor to the current PT-180.

Why?
18 hp engine
Manual quick attach
Front end looks closer to the PT180 design than PT-422
Engine controls on center console.
No hydraulic cooler.
Forward mounted engine with oil pump at rear matches other PT-418 pics.

/ Identify this older pt? #7  
It should be able to take any engine that will fit. A more powerful engine won't harm the pumps or hydraulics. It just won't have to work as hard as a smaller engine. It will likely use more fuel, so you might not want to go crazy on upsizing. I replaced my 25hp Robin engine with a 35 hp Robin engine and have been delighted with the improved performance.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming...

My pics may miss some details...

There's on oil cooler, fan was removed by po.

18hp engine is a repower... But may be the same hp as original... Unknown.

The tram pump, cable op'd is on the flywheel side, tandem pump at rear of tub...

I'll try to find some comp pics.

I'm mostly trying to figure out how much re-power this thing can take...

Might send some pics to Terry, by fax or telegraph or something. ;-)