PT425 High Altitude

/ PT425 High Altitude #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
Just finished about 2 hrs. of work in the foothills of Larkspur, CO, and my new PT425 (7 hrs.) is sputtering and stalling.

Before purchasing, I was told by a Kohler shop (as part of figuring out whether to buy a PT) that I would probably have to install a 'high-altitude' main jet. The reason I did NOT do this immediately, is that at 6800 feet, it seemed to run fine.

The engine is the Command Pro 25 HP.

Before I purchased the machine, I talked with the folks in Tazewell, and they assured me that they would make no change in the jetting.

This is not particularly a PT problem, as I've discovered that ALL brands of carbureted engines usually need rejetted above 5000 feet. I'm at 7500 feet.

Seems that ALL manufacturers say this is necessary, but it is NEVER a warranty item.

The really irritating thing is that I have limited options after spending $12K for a new tractor.

I have no way to easily move it, and no shop in the area will come out for any amount of $$$. If I remove the carb and take it to them, they will 'graciously' install the jet for about $40. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

One mechanic said that changing the jet is really difficult, another said it's easy, but no one seems to know anything about the engine even after giving them the family #, serial no., spec. no., carb number, and my date of birth and checking account balance./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone else have similar issues with Kohler or other small engines? I'll probably end up pulling the carburetor or attempting to change the jet in place.

The new part is under $12, but this is a LOT of aggravation and time for new equipment. I suppose I could just buy a case of spark plugs to change every few days. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!
Mark H.

/ PT425 High Altitude #2  
Mark,

On my kohler, you remove the carb bowl, unscrew the main jet, and screw in the new jet. Re-install bowl and your done. Mine Kohler is a vertical shaft, and jet change can be done without removing the carb. I don't know if you have the same access on your horz shaft model.

Good luck

/ PT425 High Altitude #3  
Mark,

Glad to hear you are getting some good work done with your new PT.

While I don't have any experience with the Kohler Command Pro, I have rejetted a number of Honda engines and a 12 hp Kohler and it was a pretty quick and simple procedure.

I would try just one jet size smaller to start and go one more step only if necessary. You do not want to go too lean.

Keep in mind you may have another problem such as contaminated fuel or clogged fuel filter. I would get a one step leaner jet and a new fuel filter and change both at the same time. See how the float bowl looks when you remove it.

Good Luck,

Rip

/ PT425 High Altitude #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Seems that ALL manufacturers say this is necessary, but it is NEVER a warranty item.
)</font>

Please kindly explain why do you feel that replacing the jet to high altitude jet should be considered warranty?

Regards,

Jack Gawecki
Robin America, Inc.
Technical Support Dept.

/ PT425 High Altitude #5  
I'd think that if I bought a tractor and told the dealer I lived at 7000 feet and they told me the tractor would perform at that altitude and it didn't, I would want some help from the dealer with getting it to run properly. I'd also think the dealer would have some self pride and step up in that situation.

/ PT425 High Altitude #6  
I have to agree with you, but conversion from sea level jet to high altitude jet is certainly not a warranty item. I tend to agree that the dealer should be responsible for replacing the jets in all of the units that they're selling if the selling dealer is located in the mountain area, I said this once before and I'll say it again: THE MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER SELLING DEALER! I wish we did though, that would make things easier for everyone.

/ PT425 High Altitude #7  
<font color="red">but conversion from sea level jet to high altitude jet is certainly not a warranty item. </font>

I agree that the written warranty determines what is covered. If the engine manufacturers written warranty does not cover replacing carb jets that are mismatched for the operating conditions then so be it.

However, you need to look at this from the purchaser's perspective. The purchaser told the manufacturer (also retailer in this case) that his operating conditions were high altitude and the manufacturer sold him a machine with jets that apparently are inappropriate. In my view it should not be the purchaser's responsibility to fix the problem. Given that view it comes down to it being sorted out between PT and the engine manufacturer.

This issue reminds me a bit of the fingerpointing that goes on between software venders and hardware venders. They typically, in my view, have a valid viewpoint, but when I end up in the middle I am unhappy with BOTH.

/ PT425 High Altitude #8  
i agree it is always the other guy is responsible type of situation especially after the sale not only with pt but just about anything you buy .................hence the old saying buyer beware .so sad but so true .although i did get a cal from terry at pt yesterday about a o ring recall on some of the pto's that were out so if your having problems you may want to check with terry as he has the recall info

/ PT425 High Altitude #9  
Jack,

Most of the engines I have had to re-jet WERE bought in Denver or similar high altitude area, yet all came with standard factory jets and only two dealers volunteered to change it to high altitude jet at time of purchase and one of them (in Vermont) screwed it up so the engine would not start at all.

I would venture to say that ALL of the Robin engines sold in north America come with a standard low altitude jet and it would be purely up to an individual dealer to absorb the time and cost to re-jet for altitude for the sake of customer satisfaction.

As the other poster said, such unwillingness to do right by the customer reflects badly on all involved. This is something that all engine manufactures could do better at.

Rip

/ PT425 High Altitude
Jack:

You wrote

(Seems that ALL manufacturers say this is necessary, but it is NEVER a warranty item.)

Please kindly explain why do you feel that replacing the jet to high altitude jet should be considered warranty?

Regards,

Jack Gawecki
Robin America, Inc.
Technical Support Dept.

Sorry if I offended you, but then if you bought a new car from me for $15,000 and it wouldn't start or run, I'm sure you be delighted for me to tell you that it's your problem.

Silly me - - I thought when you buy something with an engine in it that it should run.

The good news (for you) is that it's a Kohler, not a Robin engine.

Regards,
Mark H.