2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #1  

CreativeGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
PowerTrac PT-425
Greetings,
In looking around the PowerTrac forum, is seems that numerous people have replaced the rear pin hitch with a 2" receiver. I'm thinking this might be my first mod when my new baby arrives. Have these hitches been custom made or is there some off the shelf item that just needs to be bolted on?

Cheers & Thank You

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #2  
I custom made mine with a little welding and cutting. I did not weld or cut the PT, just drilled a few holes. The pictures are around here somewhere. I also have one on a quick attach plate. Also around here.

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #3  
As Bob says, there's a couple ways to do it...
You could buy a short piece of receiver tube and do several things...
-Cut off your pin hitch and weld the tube with a few gussets in its place.
-Make an adapter so that you can pin the receiver tube into the original hitch pin.

Personally, at the time, I didn't want to make my PT425 any longer because I was transporting it between worksites in the back of my pickup, and, I don't have much of a use for a 2" receiver on the rear of the unit. So I welded the receiver tube to my spare quick attach plate. I use that quite a bit. I slip in a ring hitch and use my logging tongs dangling from chains. Or I slip in a trailer ball mount and move my car hauler around my yard.

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #4  
I do find the quick attached mounted one more useful. Moving my two axle is easy with it and impossible without.

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #5  
X2 on the front hitch. Being able to lift the ball into the hitch means that remarking trailers doesn't require raising and lowering the trailer jack. Pop the ball in, latch the hitch, lift and move the trailer, lower the trailer, unlatch the hitch, drop the ball and move on. Very quick.

All the best,

Peter

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425
Great tips for both from and back mounted hitch receivers. Thanks.

Because of the hurricane shipping of my new baby has been delayed. Maybe enough time for me to decide to get a cement mixer attachment added to my order.

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #7  
My Toolcat had a hole drilled in the bucket which allowed attachment of a ball hitch. If you drilled a hole in your bucket, it might only cost you some time & effort.

Regards,

Yooper Dave

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #8  
If you drill a hole in the bucket to mount the ball, two things happen.

1. You have to mount the ball all the time, and remove it when you don't want it there.
2. You defeat the purpose of purchasing a machine with a quick attach. Quick attach is the whole point. You just drop the current implement and scoop up the 2" receiver plate. 15 seconds and you're off.

Also, you can't see the ball when going to get a trailer if the ball is inside the bucket. With a 2" receiver on a quick attach plate, you can see the ball from the operator' seat and direct it right into the cup on the trailer. And as someone else mentioned, you just curl the ball under the cup on the trailer and lift. No need to raise the trailer jack.

/ 2" back hitch receiver on PowerTrac 425 #9  
Moss makes a good point. On some projects I will swap attachments several times it is so easy.