Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #31  
That would be "silicone" calk.

"Silicon" is actually a mineral.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #33  
Do you know how many times I typed and retyped and said it just doesn’t look right.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?
So I understand that this doesn't really apply to the mounting subject, but these are the lights I went with.

Amazon.com: Lightfox 8Pcs 18W 4Inch CREE Flood LED Light Bar LED Pods Fog Light Waterproof Work Lights Off Road Lights 4WD Truck Car SUV ATV UTV Jeep Pickup Boat Driving Lamp, 2 Years Warranty: Automotive

Figure I'll put the two up top, replace the two stock ones on the bottom. This way regardless of attachment being used and whether it is up high or down low, I should be able to see what's going on.

For the back, I was thinking on dead center on back of the canopy and one on the engine cover. The PT-425 with the EH72-2 has the upgraded power dohicky putting out 30 amps @ 12V (360W). I assume this is at full throttle. Each of these lights is stated to be 18W each, so 108W total. I assume these could also be put on a PWM dimmer if necessary, dropping the power requirement if necessary. This would leave 252W for the hydraulic cooling fan, charging the battery, etc. which I think should be OK. I understand this is probably overkill and I may add switches so that the tops, bottoms, and each rear could be turned on/off independently.

For the non-PT owners out there, this tractor articulates in the middle with the ROPS attached to the front section. When going in reverse, the ROPS isn't necessarily pointing in the direction the back half is going.

These pods have a 60 degree beam on them. With each of the front ones offset 15degrees both to the side and down and the rears just 15 degrees down, this is what I'm thinking I could expect.

Pedro Lighting.png

The light gray is the front half / ROPS canopy pointing to the left, the dark gray is the rear/engine compartment, pointing to the right.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #35  
Impulse, I used similar lights on my tractor's ROPS and they work great. I ordered 2 pair, and used 2 forward and 1 reverse on the ROPS which give me a LOT of light. I use the 4th one attached to a 'ground magnet' made for welding. I put a standard 2 prong 12v plug on a cord, and I can use it as a portable light around any of my mowers or tractors. Most of the time, it's on the front of my BCS 2 wheel tractor when we head out to our campsite. You'll love the lights.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?
That's good to know. Maybe the lowers and 2nd one on rear will go to another project.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #37  
I have two up and two down forward, and I almost never use the original two lower ones. I do use the one inside the engine compartment pointing backwards, as that's where the tractor is going. I didn't find back of the ROPS lights very useful to me.

Most alternators are able to put out full power at slightly above idle (~900-1000rpm). Cranking the engine can take quite a bit of power that takes awhile to trickle back into the battery, and fan usage can really cut into the tractor's power budget. My original lights were 55W (1445), so I cut the power usage by 2/3rds and increased the illumination at the same time. I think that you will probably be very happy with just two in front and one in the back.

I just upgraded our haybarn lighting to LED from CFL, and it makes a huge difference in the cold first thing in the morning;full brightness immediately, and better coverage.

All the best,

Peter

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #38  
As I mentioned, I installed the two LED lights under the canopy to replace the original style I'd mounted under there many years back.... after turning them on, I immediately removed the lower, original factory lights and tossed them in the trash! Hahaha!!! :thumbsup:

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #39  
Please consider a flashing light mounted on the Rops. Use it when traveling on the road. The police highly recommend it.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #40  
Yes to Flashing Light... THe 1800 series have it (but they are sold to industrial aps so no big surprise).

I do not have any lights in the old lower position. I do have 2 facing forward and 2 facing back mounted under my canopy(I think they are 48 watt each so 96 watt front and 96 watt back). I tried to put in a light bar and that did not work out. Just a bit too tight. I also have a big LED in the engine compartment but the previous owner changed the grid on the back and it is a much tighter metal pattern and not a lot of light gets through but I do love having the read lights. Both for safety and for the boogey man when you are on the tractor late at night in the back 40 and you swear someone is watching you from the trees.

I bought my LED's off of EBAY (no such thing as american made LED's) SOmething like this is what I have except higher wattage

4pcs x 27W LED square forklight Light 12V 24V Off road Truck 4x4 Boat SUV lamp