Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #1  

Impulse

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 (2017)
With the days getting shorter, I'm ready to upgrade Pedro's lighting. I was planning on replacing the stock lights with LED pods and adding two more pods up near the top of the ROPS. I tried searching the forum for what others have done with not much luck.

My question is, will a hole just big enough for the wiring and probably a grommet cause too much of a weakening to the round pipes of the ROPS.

My thought was to drill through where the ROPS mounts the the frame which is very near where the current light wiring is and then run the wiring up out a hole at the top. I know that just using zip ties would be much easier, but I would prefer to have the wiring protected and out of the way.

Any thoughts?

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #2  
Do the math!

A 1/4 inch hole in the center axis of a 2X2 steel structure amounts to sheet!

Again, do the math.

I mean, can you even "guess" the loads on a ROPS/

No, I don't think so.

Do you think the "factory engineers" calculated the ROPS to the nth? Or did they give a "factor of safety"?
my money is on the latter,

But don't be a fool!

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #3  
Don't be a fool!

Are you mad? :eek:

It is my understanding (from this far away at least) that the minute, nay second, that you drill into your ROPS you technically 'affect' the integrity of the structure and instantly negate the Certification it carries from the OEM.

Naturally, as a result, you give carte blance to your insurer to deny any claim you may make in the future should there be an 'incident'.

Drilling any holes (no matter how small) and welding any brackets (no matter how useful) "alter" the structure from the certified drawings held on-file and which are the 'bible' in such contested issues.

I don't know why I'm bothering to write this. You may already have bypassed your seat switch as well... :confused2:

Cable-ties for wires. Clamps for brackets. ("Know safety, no pain. No safety, know pain.")

Of course you could perforate it like a cheese grater (A la B17 bomber) and go and get it re-certified by a qualified engineer. Those ROPS are way too heavy aren't they?? :rolleyes: (Just kidding!)

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #4  
Last edited:
   / Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #5  
I considered holes in my ROPS to route wiring but found a much better, simpler solution. I found nylon wire ties with external loops for holding wiring. Just wrap the wire tie around the ROPS where you need the lighting wires to be attached - route the lighting wires thru the external loop - you are done.

Easy to attach - easy to route - easy to remove - has no impact on ROPS integrity.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #6  
When I was a working man I was involved in construction safety. As I remember, it was clear that any ROPS modification by drilling, cutting or welding affected the integrity of the ROPS. However minor you think the change is, you do void any engineering. Drilling is a no-no.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?
Thanks for all the feedback. I will definitely be using the wire tie method.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #9  
GC17xx series comes with holes drilled/engineered into the ROPS for OEM wiring so running additional wires through existing holes is a no-brainer, but I would never drill the ROPS and expect it to save me.

/ Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire? #10  
My question is, will a hole just big enough for the wiring and probably a grommet cause too much of a weakening to the round pipes of the ROPS.

Yes.

Cable ties, clamps. Yes, it's ugly. Life's hard sometimes.