HELP! QA won稚 disengage.

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #1  

CreativeGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
PowerTrac PT-425
Greetings.
With just two hours on my 425 I need to change my attachment. The 4-in-one is on (as it arrived from the factory). I did have to switch the lines after I engaged the QA so that I could operate the 笛aws? I switched back to the QA lines but it wont disengage. I致e Wiggled everything, Unhooked and reconnected the lines but nothing seems to work. There is just a very slight movement when I engage the lever. The clamp doesnt seem to be binding so I’m without a clue.

Ideas?
Steve

Last edited:
   / HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #2  
The only time I had that happen was when the hose wasn't quite reseated. I had disconnected the quick attach when it was cold out and had worked in sun all day and just couldn't break the pressure to relink by hand. End up giving the stopper doh icky a little love with a punch and mallet and to release pressure and all was well.

I did see someone on here talk about bending the cylinder on their qa... that for certain isn't the case? When you try to activate it, does the engine / pumps sound like when you hold it a sec after it is closed or does it sound normal?

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #3  
Try operating it in the "enagage" position. You should see a slight movement on the plate, the engine should bog down.

Anything?

Try undoing and remaking the QA couplings.

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage.
Hi guys
I left for lunch then frustrated but came back ready to tackle the problem. It was pretty much as Impulse mentioned, the connector was not quite seated all the way. It took more force than thought it should take to get it that last 1/8? up the sleeve. But that did it. I?m much relieved.
Thanks for your responses I?m fairly new to hydraulics.

On a related note, since I have the QA couplers disconnected when I?m running the 4in1 and cement mixer, I?m surprised the PT doesn?t provide extra dust caps or plugs. Currently I put the loose couplers in plastic bags secured with rubber bands. I don?t want to contaminate the lies with dirt.
Are they 1/2? NPT couplers? I?ll order some proper caps.

Cheers and Thank You.

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #5  
I'm always impressed at the way when one PT owner has a problem other PT owners rush to the rescue.

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #7  
Hi guys
I left for lunch then frustrated but came back ready to tackle the problem. It was pretty much as Impulse mentioned, the connector was not quite seated all the way. It took more force than thought it should take to get it that last 1/8? up the sleeve. But that did it. I?m much relieved.
Thanks for your responses I?m fairly new to hydraulics.

On a related note, since I have the QA couplers disconnected when I?m running the 4in1 and cement mixer, I?m surprised the PT doesn?t provide extra dust caps or plugs. Currently I put the loose couplers in plastic bags secured with rubber bands. I don?t want to contaminate the lies with dirt.
Are they 1/2? NPT couplers? I?ll order some proper caps.

Cheers and Thank You.

Glad you got the quick connects resolved. Try to get into the habit of shutting off the machine, then once its off, flip the AUX PTO lever (by your right knee) fully in both direction for a second or two. This should relieve the pressure on that circuit and make it easier to disconnect and reconnect the QA/AUX PTO hoses.

Keep a flat punch, a hammer, and a rag handy. As mentioned, if an implement or the tractor itself sits around in the sun, the fluid in the hoses can heat up just a bit and just a bit of pressure will build up in the hoses, putting enough back pressure on the fittings to make it pert-near impossible for you to connect them with your hands. Look inside one of the fitting ends. Set the flat punch on the tip inside the fitting. Wrap a rag around the punch and fitting and tap the punch with a hammer once. A tiny drop of oil, and I mean tiny, just one, will pop out of the fitting and that’s enough to reduce the pressure and you’ll be able to connect it with your hand then.

I’ve had that problem on my snow plow power angle hoses that operate off the quick attach circuit. I’ve had it on the QA cylinder hoses. I’ve had it on the finish mower attachment hoses and the brush cutter hoses.

So it happens on big and small hoses. I was scratching my head too, until I posted it on TBN and was told about the hammer, punch and rag solution.

One of the frustrating things about the smaller quick attach implements is that PT puts identical gender ends on them, instead of opposite gender ends, whereas they put opposite ends on the main PTO so you can’t reverse direction the motors on the implements. I don’t know why they do this and you will quickly become frustrated when you hook up things to the AUX PTO connections opposite of the last time you used it, and the AUX PTO lever works opposite of the last time you used it.

A quick solution is to paint a color stripe on one of the sets of hoses both implement and tractor side so you can visually identify them when hooking them back up.

If they had made them opposite gender, you could just hook the hoses together when not in use and there’d be no need for plugs! GRRR!!! :laughing:

End of rant...

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage. #8  
I replaced mine with flat face connectors (one of each gender) which are easier to connect. Using the joy stick on my secondary circuit while connecting also helps.

Ken

/ HELP! QA won稚 disengage.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Resistance Is Futile.

Cheers