Hydraulic Couplers

/ Hydraulic Couplers #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Anyone know the series of couplers that PT uses (i.e., 60 series, 4000 series, 6600 series, etc) for the aux PTO? I think they are Italian made buy I can't find the brand. I also wonder if they are metric. PT tends to find esoteric parts that can't be easily ordered online so I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are metric. For example, I ordered some lug bolts for my PT only to discover that PT uses 7/16 - 20 instead of the common 1/2 - 20 lug bolts. Had to send them back and order from PT.

I don't mind using PT for parts, but their markup is 100% on parts...so, I would like to find a substitute for the couplers if possible. PT uses two male connectors on the PTO for these tractors. Therefore, you can't connect the couplers together on any attachment in storage, to protect them from contamination, as they are both female.

/ Hydraulic Couplers #2  
<font color="brown"> I ordered some lug bolts for my PT only to discover that PT uses 7/16 - 20 instead of the common 1/2 - 20 lug bolts. </font>

7/16 - 20 sounds real familiar. Not too long ago, I installed electric brakes on my cargo trailer. I think that size was involved in the conversion, somehow. I believe I had to go search them out, and had a hard time finding them without driving to the big city, but was able to get them at the local CoOp. The nearest HD had nothing in that size

Wish I could remember more clearly. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In any event, for odd and/or esoteric nuts and bolts, look in the Yellow Pages under "Fasteners." Most cities of any size have one or more fastener suppliers.

SnowRidge

/ Hydraulic Couplers #3  
If I am going to purchase a PT it sounds like this might be good lingo to know...

1/2 - 20... 7/16 - 20???

What is this describing?

Thanks

/ Hydraulic Couplers #4  
<font color="brown"> 1/2 - 20... 7/16 - 20???

What is this describing? </font>

Bolt size. The first number is the diameter in inches, and the second is the number of threads per inch.

SnowRidge

/ Hydraulic Couplers #5  
Most parts on a PT are not really that esoteric, but there are four or five different (and not interchangable) types of hydraulic couplers out there and not every hydraulic shop carries all types. If you write down the full number from an existing coupler, they can match it or can order it.

You should have or can get plastic protector caps to fit any type, size or gender coupler in order to keep it clean when not in use. They will have a molded retainer or chain to attach them to their respective hose. Get a few extras of each type & size you use so you can replace a lost one right away... they are cheap, dirt in a hyd system is not!!

The lug bolts you were looking for are common for light duty trailers.

Good luck,

Rip

/ Hydraulic Couplers #6  
"" You should have or can get plastic protector caps to fit any type, size or gender coupler in order to keep it clean when not in use. ""

Walmart sells white rubber table leg end caps that fit over the whole hydraulic fitting of the smaller hoses. They are a little over a dollar for 4 caps!
See where I have them covering the unused fittings for the quick attach!

Wide_TBN.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydraulic Couplers #7  
Those rubber chair tips are 1 inch if you use them. I drilled a hole in the center of mine and put a small eye bolt in it and tied a string to it and tied the other end of the string to the hose on the emplement just long enough so that when you hook up the emplement they are handy to put on the ends of the quick attach hose. I have the tips on every attachment that has a cylinder, it's real convenient. The tires look real good turned that way, it widens the stance of the machine and I can't see where it puts any more stress on the wheel motors except when you get on somethin where only the outside of the tire is riding on the ground which would be seldomly done. The wider stance would be very good when you are digging a deep ditch and you want to tram up astaddle the ditch. I've been thinking of doing mine that way but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Last fall I dug a septic whole and an overflow hole with my pt. I used the small bucket with teeth to dig the hole in order to get it deep enough, and the mini hoe to dig the ditches which were as deep as I could dig with the mini hoe. It was a little unnerving having the tires that close to the hole when I would pull forward to clean out the hole, and articulating it to dump the bucketwasn't something that I wanted to do with the wheels turned in. At Tazwell they did warn against turning the wheels out though. They could balk on warranty repairs to any trouble with the wheel units that you may have. When the warrenty goes out though mine will be turned out unless you give us a negetive report on doing so before the warranty is up. It would be easy to put four bolts in the square holes in the rims with them turned out.

/ Hydraulic Couplers

Thanks for the tip. I would never have thought of using table leg caps. It’s certainly a lot cheaper to find some caps than to buy the coupler itself. Even if I order the wrong size, they aren't very expensive.

One other reason I wanted to hook the hoses together though is to relieve any pressure build up. I have the 4 in 1 bucket and I’ve managed to get enough pressure in the hoses that I couldn’t attach them. I had to take a screwdriver and relieve the pressure before it would go on. Leaving the bucket in the sun all day also seems to cause some pressure build up.

/ Hydraulic Couplers #9  
If there is increased stress or wear, rest assured that it will not show up until after the warranty expires!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rolling your PT over isn't covered by the warranty either!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
So_Sad__.gif

"" It would be easy to put four bolts in the square holes in the rims with them turned out. "" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hydraulic Couplers #10  
"" Even if I order the wrong size ""

I just took one of the couplings off, took it to WalMart, and tried the various caps until I found the ones that worked best!! No ordering, no returns, and no multiple trips!!

"" had to take a screwdriver and relieve the pressure ""

I have found that it is easier to just slightly loosen the hose to coupling connection. No chance of damaging the inside of the coupling.

I swapped male and female couplings around so that the functions are consistant: UP opens up the Adaptor Plate, the MiniHoe bucket, and the fangs on the Grapple; DOWN locks the Adaptor Plate, and closes down with the bucket and fangs!!