Slopes

/ Slopes #1  

Clarke

Gold Member
Tractor
PT425
Does anybody know the actual limits on a PT 425 traversing a slope. I know the Kohler manual says 25 degrees any direction. I have a slope I would like to mow with the 425. I installed one of the slope gauges. When I get side ways on the slope the meter says 20 degrees and the PT is very unstable to the point where the up slope tires are loosing traction and the machine feels unstable. Maybe I should try reversing the wheels. Does PT list an actual roll over point.

sg

/ Slopes #2  
I don't think there is much danger of upsetting the power trac on a 20 degree slope unless you would hit a bump or hole. I have had my 422 power trac on side slopes of over 25 degrees, it feels unstable but it hangs there. I notice on steep side slopes with the mower in float position the power trac has a tendency to slide sideways some, if you take the mower out of float and raise it slightly it will not slide as much.
I try not to go over 20 degree on side slopes but several places I mow it cannot be avoided. Get to know the machine and be careful, it has taken me years to learn what I can do with it , I now go places with it that I wouldn't have several years ago, probably some places I shouldn't.

/ Slopes #3  
<font color="red"> ( Does PT list an actual roll over point.) </font>

PT doesn't <font color="green"> list </font> much of anything. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

However, 20 degrees is well within the PT-425's side slope capabilities. When I am on that much side slope, I have noticed the steering response is somewhat different. It just takes getting used to.

SnowRidge

/ Slopes #4  
"It just takes some getting used to"........................

SO TRUE!! I haven't had mt PT long enough to become real comfortable with it...but I've had my <font color="red"> </font> Farmall <font color="black"> </font> over 10 years around our property and at first I thought it was going to tip several times and I was very apprehensive with it...took my time doing almost everything until I got used to it...now I buzz around like nobody's business and go places I never thought I would(within the limitations that the HP and 2WD will take me)...but I'm still careful enough to know it's limitations...as Clint said "A man's gotta know his limitations"......and a man's gotta know his tractor's too!

/ Slopes #5  
We do not have trouble mowing across 25 deg. slopes with our 425.
EB

/ Slopes #6  
A lot of the problem with mowing on slopes (or practically any degree of incline) is psychological. Once you get beyond getting the eebie geebies you gain confidence. And if you're not careful, you will gain to much confidence and become careless. So always try to keep in mind what you are doing. Or take a break and don't go on those slopes for a while. Chances are the eebie geebies will come back temporarily and that'll slow ya down again!

/ Slopes #7  
The slop in behind my house is 30 degree I measured it with a machinest set up level mounted on an 8foot straight edge to get a more accurate reading of the degree of slop it is. I wouldn't try to mow around the slop but I wonder is it possible to tram up the slop and mow as I back down it. Would such a steep slop cause damage to the engine to do this?

/ Slopes #8  
<font color="blue"> When I get side ways on the slope the meter says 20 degrees and the PT is very unstable to the point where the up slope tires are loosing traction and the machine feels unstable. </font>

That is your brain protecting itself. Listen to it. It is a good brain.

As to your actual question, I have not seen any cross slope or up/down slope specifications posted by Power Trac for the PT425, just the information regarding the Kohler.