Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz
Update, As I am waiting for my wheel motor I am taking my time...

That said, spent the day today with a razor blade, WD40 and a brillo pad. Doubt it will make any difference in performance but hey, looks like new.. Sunday I should start bolting it back together.

Oh, nearly $200 in gaskets. Heck of a learning experience. I hate flushing money like this....

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 75
   / Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #12  
Hi Carl,

Yours did sit but I do not know for how long. I remember they stripped it for parts to have on their truck when their contract work only needed one tractor running. He was supposed to send the parts but was looking for them and I had Tazwell put new parts on your tractor hoping I would get the owner's parts eventually to use as spares. Cost many thousands. He never did find/send me those parts which is a shame.

Ken

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #13  
Carl,

I have a diesel compression tester that uses the injector ports if you need it.

Ken

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #15  
One thing I did not post is how much of a nightmare this is going to be. I do not have a shop per se. Just a carport with no walls and a dirt floor. An engine hoist will be nearly impossible to operate on the dirt. Not sure what I am going to do.
Put the hoist on plywood.

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #16  
Have you considered doing a minor in frame, can you drop the pan, pull the rod and piston, run a light hone job on the cylinder and fit new rings and if you wanted new main bearings.
It is not the best way to go but honing and rings have gotten many engines running for quite a few hours from minor incidents.

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #17  
That’s fine generic advice, but you can’t do that on these machines. They all have welded in armored belly pans. You have to pull the engine to do more than Carl has done.

All the best,

Peter

Have you considered doing a minor in frame, can you drop the pan, pull the rod
and piston, run a light hone job on the cylinder and fit new rings and if you wanted new main bearings.
It is not the best way to go but honing and rings have gotten many engines running for quite a few hours from minor incidents.

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #18  
That’s fine generic advice, but you can’t do that on these machines. They all have welded in armored belly pans. You have to pull the engine to do more than Carl has done.

All the best,

Peter

that's a shame, best of luck to the OP

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #19  
Welded in armored belly pans.... yep, that about sums it up. Steel bathtub with wheels.

/ Rebuilding the Top End of the Deutz #20  
Don't think of it as flushing money. $200 for an intro to diesel course at the community college would cost much more! :thumbsup: Its money well spent for the knowledge.