Questions About 425 Attachments

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #1  

jsduke

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425 (Former Kubota L3130 HST)
I知 not sure I値l be able to get to Tazewell in the near future so I値l be asking you fine folks here on the PT forum for your experience and input on a number of attachments for my future 425 purchase.

First, I am unfortunately restricted by storage constraints. I have a a 7X16 foot space in my garage in which to keep the machine and attachments. Down the line I may be able to expand that by a bit and possibly include some 宋ertical space (forks anyone?).

My needs are: 350 foot gravel driveway maintenance including pushing wet snow that my blower cannot handle. Battling autumn olive and other nuisance vegetation on my mostly wooded 10 acre ridge property (I have a field and brush mower so this would be about removal and burning). Smalller stump removal and rehabilitation (bigger stumps to be left for an occasional mini-ex rental). Some small scale excavation/landscaping projects. The land is hard with some rock and clay. Driveway has deteriorated into a 祖oncrete two track. Debris clean-up. Maybe expand the lawn into currently unusable brushy areas.

I have a Simplity for grass mowing (about 1/2 acre or so). I know what attachments are available but don稚 have the experience to know which ones would be really useful.

Thanks.

duke

/ Questions About 425 Attachments
So what is with the weird characters replacing some of my letters and punctuation? ��

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #3  
the plow is great for snow...I couldn't live here without it.....heavy wet snow I don't like to let get deeper then 8-12" or being center articulated the machine crabs......get some chains for at least two wheels......if I could put them on all four I would.....the plow is pretty worthless for grading unless its loose stones...the machine just doesn't have enough weight or umph ......I have a 1/4 mile stone drive and for maintenance I back drag the light material bucket......I've also used that method to spread an acre of topsoil for a neighbor....I've also used the lmb as a scaffold although you didn't hear me say that out loud.....lol.....I also find the backhoe indispensable and have it hooked up on the rear all the time.......besides digging holes and trenches I'll use it to fix potholes and break up the ice on the drive.....I imagine it would do well removing small diameter stumps.....I also have the grapple bucket which although not used a lot is a life saver when I need it.....that might work for your vegetation or the four in one bucket might be better for what you have.....keep in mind the cost of shipping from tazwell will be about the cost of an attachment.......so get as much as you can afford when you buy the tractor otherwise you'll be looking at a couple of hundred bucks for shipping one attachment over the road freight......for what its worth I never went to tazwell either and bought everything sight unseen......Jack

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #4  
are you using a phone or tablet to type your messages....thats the only thing I can think of for the weird characters .........Jack

Thanks for the info Jack.

If the blade is only capable of about 10 inches of snow and not really suited for driveway grading, might skip it as I have no room for sparsely used attachments. The LMB would probably handle my non blowable snow if equipped with edge tamers.

I am wondering if either the grapple bucket or dirt bucket with teeth could handle breaking up hard packed driveway and then back dragging until level? I guess the power rake would do a fine job on driveway maintenance but I am unsure if I would or could use it for anything else?

Will the grapple bucket hold up to the same digging tasks as the dirt bucket with teeth? They look basically the same except for the type of teeth on the grapple and of course the grapple itself. Seems silly to need both.

Then there is brush clearing and removing. Utility grapple, grapple bucket or 4in1?

And speaking of the 4in1... is it a tough and capable jack of all trades or a somewhat delicate and less capable master of none?

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #6  
We were just discussing the value of the 4 in 1. OK at everything, great at nothing. Get a grapple, and buy a bucket with a toothbar. You will be way happier. Pushing dirt / snow requires the correct tool. I don't push any dirt so others will chime in.

The PT is not an exceptional machine at ground engagement. It isn't bad, but the torque and beef in a "normal" tractor is much more condusive to ground work. I maintain a mile long dirt road, no problems, I do cut trails on the hillsides of my property (something of a problem with 8 tires).

The PT does everything good, none of it great. It is hugely versatile, and outside of plowing a field IMO better than any tractor I have worked with. Stay away from the power rake btw. I don't know of anyone who has bought it who didn't try to sell it in a year.

So instead of the 4in1 I should be looking at the PT 5 cf. dirt bucket with bolt on teeth and the PT utility grapple?

How do you maintain your road WF?

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #8  
My PT storage area is about the same as yours... and old shed that is 16' deep. Here's how I store my implements.

SUMMER:
- 60" power angle snowplow goes up against the back wall.
- 48" brush cutter goes up against that.
- I put the 48" pallet forks sideways inside my small rock bucket with teeth.
- I put the small rock bucket with teeth inside the large light material bucket.
- I set that on the ground tipped up against the rear wheels of the 48" brush cutter.
- I put the 60" finish mower on the tractor, lift it up, drive forward until the front tires of the tractor are up against the rear of the large light material bucket, and slowly lower the 60" finish mower down onto the brush cutter and buckets.
- Then I get off and shut the door with room to spare.

That takes up 60" wide by about 15.5'

WINTER:
- 60" finish mower goes up against the back wall.
- Pallet forks nested in small bucket nested in big bucket go up against that.
- 48" brush cutter goes on top of the finish mower and buckets.
- 60" power angle snowplow goes on the tractor.
And that allows me enough room to BACK the tractor in with the plow facing out, and close the door with room to spare. So I just open the door and plow out. Works great.

As far as snow removal with a bucket... you won't like it. Get the plow and get the wheels for the back of the plow. The plow works way better than the large material bucket. It's cheap and worth its weight in gold.

I have the small bucket with teeth. If you get it, take a grinder to the tips of the teeth and bevel them. They come blunt and are kinda useless that way. I was complaining about it, and a TBN member told me to bevel them with a grinder. Night and day difference! :thumbsup:

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #9  
The reason I'm suggesting the wheels for the plow is your gravel driveway. Raising the cutting edge of the snow blade up an inch or two and letting it ride on the gauge wheels will leave just an inch of snow and not hit any rocks. I have a long strip of crushed limestone in a long 3-4-space parking area and this works great. Don't be intimidated by 10" of wet heavy snow. Yes, it will tend to crab the machine when going forward with the plow angled. So don't angle the plow. Keep it straight and push down the center of the drive as far as you can, then back up and push it to the side if you have to. The plow on the FEL arms on the 400 series machines is very capable of pushing snow up in 6' piles. You can't do that with the buckets.

And although you get heavy snows, you also get lighter snows. The plow is too good of a value to pass up. As are the light material bucket and pallet forks.

If I was going to order again, I'd skip the small rock bucket with teeth and get the grapple bucket instead. It's the same bucket and same teeth.

The small bucket is 370. The teeth are 150. That's 520.
The utility grapple is 800.
The grapple bucket is 1300.

1300-800 is 500.....

If you go with the grapple bucket vs the small bucket with teeth plus the utility grapple, you'll get pretty much the same functionality in one implement that you'd have in two implements for 20 less.

Now I don't know how well either of those grapples compare to each other, so you'll have to get someone else's opinion on that. But if space saving is a concern, I'd go with the grapple bucket as long as it comes with teeth.

The light material bucket is another implement that is too good of a value to pass up. You can nest your grapple or grapple bucket inside it, as well as pallet forks. It's really nice to have that large bucket around when moving loose material such as sand, dirt, mulch, gravel, etc....

Also, looking back over the years, I should have gotten the mini-hoe with a thumb. It would be great for removing small stumps and digging plantin holes.

Hope that helps.

/ Questions About 425 Attachments #10  
I usually have the small bucket on my 422 as I use it for lots of things, hauling firewood, dirt, gravel clearing leaves out of ditches, etc. I also use the mini hoe with thumb a lot, picking up large logs, moving brush piles, digging holes and ditches, . Also use 48 inch finish mower a lot in summer for mowing, also modified snow plow blade I can use on either the 422 or 1845. Other attachments I use not too often, trailer mover, salt spreader/seeder, flail mower. I also modified a York rake to level driveway, it works ok but not for hard packed.
I don't know exactly where you live but you are welcome to come check out my tractors, I have a pt 422 and also a pt 1845 slope mower, I am about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh near Johnstown.

Last edited: