Tank Oil Change

/ Tank Oil Change #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
I'm sure there are already some threads floating around but for a quick reference / tips.

Thinking about changing out I believe it's 10 gallons in my tank. Placed magnets in the tank a few months ago after examining them I see a lot of grey metal sludge on the magnets.

Thought about replacing the Dino with synthetic but with the cleaning action of synthetic don't want to create more problems with old seals etc.

Any procedural tips for replacing the oil for those who have done this.. What is the most efficient and safe way / do's and don'ts to get out any contaminants ..

Thanks

/ Tank Oil Change #2  
You might want to look into building a filter cart, too, and filter the oil with an electric pump and see if it yields results.

/ Tank Oil Change #3  
Also, might consider sending in a sample of your oil to a testing lab, just to see what's in it.

/ Tank Oil Change #5  
Both my mechanic and PT said to me that unless there is visible contamination, or 15 years have passed, you do not need to change out the oil. likewise, if you are like me, you just wait, very soon a major hose will let go, depositing that gold back to the earth it came from, and you can put in new stuff. I cycle my oil once every 5 years through broken hoses.

As for what oil to choose, how deep is your pocket? I do believe that Full Synth runs cooler, but I have begun to hear people saying that on not tightly designed equipment (IE modern 2018 pumps and engines) synthetic tends to find its way through the poor machining, either causing more oil burn or less pressure. I have not seen evidence of this (altough I do burn oil a bit more than I used to, but that is marred cylinder issue). But the people saying this around me ("We are going back to Dino as we find we are burning synth quicker"). I also believe that if you have normal PT luck your expensive oil will be back on the ground in a couple of years.

/ Tank Oil Change
Thanks for the suggestions everyone .. Really liking the filter cart idea thanks Moss / Ken nice job on the cart .. I'll give that one some thought..

/ Tank Oil Change #7  
I would suggest putting 8x8s under the tires opposite to the drain plug to help drain things. I used an old dishwasher drain hose (nicenuilt in rubber sleeve to go over the drain and an electric pump, mostly to meter the oil into 1 gallon recycling containers. I didn稚 have any sludge, so just getting the oil out was all that was necessary.

I replaced with full synthetic and I didn稚 see any difference to speak of. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Tank Oil Change
I would suggest putting 8x8s under the tires opposite to the drain plug to help drain things. I used an old dishwasher drain hose (nicenuilt in rubber sleeve to go over the drain and an electric pump, mostly to meter the oil into 1 gallon recycling containers. I didn稚 have any sludge, so just getting the oil out was all that was necessary.

I replaced with full synthetic and I didn稚 see any difference to speak of. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

Thanks Peter may be what I end up doing... Love the filter cart idea but will probably end up just changing out flushing out with a fresh oil synthetic mix...

/ Tank Oil Change #9  
Thanks Peter may be what I end up doing... Love the filter cart idea but will probably end up just changing out flushing out with a fresh oil synthetic mix...

I thought the original hydraulic oil from Powertrac was just regular motor oil or something like that...