Tazewell, worth the trip?

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #1  

jsduke

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425 (Former Kubota L3130 HST)
I have the time. But it is a 5 hour plus drive and the weather is iffy for the next week or so. If anyone who has made the trip in the last year or two would be so kind as to recount their experience, I would appreciate it.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #2  
Paging MossRoad... MossRoad to the White Courtesy Phone! :)laughing:)

Seriously, MossRoad will be along to recount all of his experiences with Tasewell.

Heck, make him an offer to join you on your trip! Local knowledge goes a fair distance.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #3  
I have been down there at least 6 times, it is nice to meet the people you talk to on the phone and they are very friendly. Terry and Keith are the ones I talk to the most. You can get to see all the attachments and machines and try each out if you wish. Last year I had my 1845 down there for repairs and I also took several of my wheel motors down for my 422 to get them rebuilt, (2,780 ) hours on them and they were leaking oil around the shaft so I decided to drive down and have them repaired while my 1845 was there. I was going to rent a truck and trailer to bring my 1845 back but I found a guy that would bring it back for about the price it would take me to rent a truck and trailer. I really enjoy making the trip down.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip?
Appreciate it erne.

How did you get your 1845 down there if I may ask?

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #5  
I went on uship.com and got bids from different haulers. If you are flexible as to time and they can find a load going to an area near Tazewell they can give you a decent rate. If you want the name of the guy who brought my 1845 up I will give you his name and phone number in a private message.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #6  
Let's make one thing perfectly clear....

I have never been to Tazewell! :laughing:

I started my search for a tractor around the start of 2001, and while searching, came across TBN. While reading and discussing traditional "tractors" I came across some reading regarding Power Tracs.... and I was hooked. It all made sense to me. I don't plow dirt. I don't pull stumps. I don't need a conventional "tractor".

Anyhow, after much thought, reading, etc... I was ready to make the trip to Tazewell, when I came across a local landscaper that had two 400 series machines on a job site in our town. He was gracious enough to let me check them out and I watched him operated it with several attachments. A few phone calls to Power Trac to answer a few questions.... and I was sitting in the Credit Union with my wife taking out a loan.

I've told this story before:

Loan officer asks how much money do we need to borrow.
I think long and hard, talking outloud.... Tractor is $8000. Attachments are $xxxx, delivery was $xxxx, so that's about $12,500, and we'll need a trailer eventually, so, and I look at my wife, and say,
"I think we need to borrow $15,000 to be safe."

She nods her head, looks at the loan officer and says,
"We need $30,000 because I'm getting a new car."

:eek:

:laughing:

If it wasn't for that local landscaper, I definately would have made the trip to Tazewell. I just couldn't see buying something I'd never had my hands on before or seeing in person. Thanks to the few members that had Power Tracs back then, their honest opinions of the machine, and the wisdom of a few TBN members that had much more experience with tractors and machinery than I had at the time, I was comfortable making the purchase.

I have never regretted making that purchase. I have regretted seeing some members struggle with starting the Robin engines in the cold, after me touting the machine as the best thing since sliced bread. My Kohler has never failed to start in the cold, and I was kinda sickened at some of the problems people were having with the Robins. I would purchase one again today if I needed one. It's been my go-to tool for 17 years.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #7  
MR someday you should take a trip down there just to see the facility and meet the people and it is also nice country. I will probably make another trip down at some point in time for more attachments or just to visit.

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #8  
if you can't get down there then definitely find someone near you who will let you try out their machine......pt actually gave me the name of someone who was about an hour north of me who graciously let me ride around on his.......and he had both a 2425 and a 425 so I was able to compare them side by side......within minutes I had made my decision and never looked back.......Jack

/ Tazewell, worth the trip?
Erne, sent you a PM

/ Tazewell, worth the trip? #10  
I went there about two years ago and test drove a 424 and 1430. I got to use the bucket on each and I think they had a pile of dirt to play with.
I was really impressed by the new display room where they have one of every tractor. Terry pointed out that the room was paid for when it was built. These are nice people to deal with.
My wife and I were down there on vacation and toured around the area. Go to Burks'エ garden if you get a chance. It is an isolated farming community in an old volcano. Very unique.