Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425...

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #1  

jsduke

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425 (Former Kubota L3130 HST)
I have a serious concern about the proprietary (Italian made?) main hydraulic pump and some posts casting doubt on the life and reliability of it and fairly involved process in swapping it out. The cost of a new one, 2K+, and the fact that PT has rebuilt ones ready to ship at a moments notice makes me a tad uncomfortable.

Any input or experience anyone?

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #2  
Yep, on pump #4 (counting the original that was in it) on mine. First one went out under warranty under 50 hours. I was plowing snow and it just quit. I could push it even without any motor running. The swash plate went out. Sent it back to power-trac and got another one a few days later. Pump #2, I was mowing and no forward motion but had reverse and it was locked it. Going all over the yard trying to figure out how to stop. Slowed it all the way down and then turned it off. This pump the screw mounting locations came loose inside the pump. Sent it back and got another a few days later at $400. Pump #3 put it in and nothing, called Terry and tried everything. It was DOA - cause the pump wouldn't prime. So no now I am on pump #4 and so far pretty good. I have only 350 on it and that is including leaving the key in the on position and just racking up hours on the hour meter. I have had it 10 years now and I still love it. I have made 3 attachments for it of my own creation. I am pretty good now at changing out the pumps. The hardest part it puts a creak in you back if your older. I can have it out in about 45 minutes and new one in about 1-1/2 hours. Thats with stretching and coffee breaks. I look at other tractors and see how expensive they are and their attachments also limited in type and selection. Power-Trac if you can think it up you should be able to make it a reality. So much great help here on this forum - bunch a great guys. We lost a member recently and what a great loss :frown:. He helped so many people with their tractors including myself.

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #3  
it's not that its really difficult to remove and reinstall its just that some of those hoses are in really awkward locations which makes it hard to get a wrench on them......just make sure you label all the hoses and take lots of pictures as you disassemble........Jack

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #4  
I had the tram pump go out in about 50 hours too. I learned that you should keep the hose(s) above the level of the oil reservoir. :duh: About a year ago, lost a hose to the front right wheel motor. I'm not a mechanic, but things are pretty straight forward, so far i've been able to work on and fix, anything that's needed attention.

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425...
Thanks for the input fellow TBNers.

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425...
Can anyone tell me which components/parts of the 425 (or other PTs) are strictly proprietary and have to be sourced through Tazewell?

Does anyone have any information regarding the financial status of PT or the likely hood of their being around and available for parts and technical assistance years from now?

Just a few last concerns to address before taking the plunge

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #7  
Not sure if this is accurate, but it gives you some info about the company.
Canaan Land Associates, Inc in Tazewell, VA - (276) 988-6543
[h=1]Canaan Land Associates, Inc[/h]
[h=2]Power-Trac[/h]

Contact Information

Canaan Land Associates, Inc
Tazewell Industrial Park
Tazewell, VA 24651

Title:President
Phone: (276) 988-6543

Canaan Land Associates, Inc is the only company located at Tazewell Industrial Park, Tazewell, VA 24651

Business Description

Canaan Land Associates, which also operates under the name Power-Trac, is located in Tazewell, Virginia. This organization primarily operates in the Lawn and Garden Tractors and Equipment business / industry within the Industrial and Commercial Machinery and Computer Equipment sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 32 years. Canaan Land Associates is estimated to generate $7.0 million in annual revenues, and employs approximately 55 people at this single location. This organization is engaged in manufacturing activities at this facility.

Name:
Canaan Land Associates, Inc

Trade Name:
Power-Trac
Cla

Year Founded: 1986

Engaged In:

checked.png
Manufacturing

checkedun.png
Importing

checkedun.png
Exporting

State of Inc:
Virginia

Location Type:
Single

Revenue:

$ 6,956,783

Employees Here:

Facility Size:
N/A

* Revenue & Employees are estimates

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #8  
I visited there three years ago and saw their new show room. Terry, I believe it was, commented that the showroom was paid for as built. I hope this helps. I have had my 422 for 18 years and have been extraordinarily pleased with it. No major failures at this point. I had the one hose break after I dropped something on it. I had one wheel motor leak and sent it back for rebuild. Put new ignition coils and carburetor in the engine. The engine is now using a lot of oil, about 1/2 quart in two hours. This is fouling the spark plugs. I have about 1100 hours on the engine and exceeded the rated slope for some of my use. I plan to get a new 425 in the near future, maybe this year. I know of nothing else on the market that will do what this will do anywhere near this price range. People are amazed when they see this thing move dirt. You need to be handy to own one because there is no local support. Just my experience. Good luck with your decision.

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #9  
I believe that PT still has legs and they sell more than it appears. They survived the coal downturn which was a major portion of their business. Not sure if they just export to China and such but that division was really hurt in the US. Terry says they are doing well. Business is steady. So none of the parts outside of the lift cylinders are proprietary. They buy everything off the shelf and I believe they try and balance quality vs cost, meanin there are better parts out there but those cost way too much. PT removes all markings from pumps and motors, leaving you to either find someone smart to do the repair (not impossible if you live in the right town) or order from them. I live in a town with smart people so when my wheel motor failed, I took it down, they provided me the model number in just a couple of minutes and then charged me 1100 to fix the darn thing.

/ Just about ready to pull the trigger on the new 425... #10  
So based on the quote you got airbisquit they have available 127K a year for each employee. Figure the averag on the HIGH side is 65 per employee that is 3.5mil of the 7 mil for labor. I am sure the materials cost of a PT is about 50% of the overall cost (my PT, 6K engine, 8K wheel motors, 6K pumps, 5K on parts and steel so the remainder of the sale is labor andprofit or 10K. I bet the PT goes together quick. 5 days from weld to release if one person was doing it?