Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me?

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #1  

CreativeGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
PowerTrac PT-425
Greetings,
I am in the process of modifying the box scraper I built for my old mini dozer to attach to the hitch frame I made for my PT 425. I welded on a long 2 receiver tube. I intend to weld connector plates to pin on the sides for extra support and additional support up to the top link connector on the hitch frame. But first, I gave it a tryout. It worked really well pulling gravel on our driveway but driving backwards is less than ideal. I know the box blade from PT is also meant to be used in reverse.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to modify a box blade to push forward on their tractors? It seems like it would be much easier to control. I also thought that I could weld a longer 2 tube so that I could hook it up in either the forward or backward direction. I was also wondering if there would be an advantage in either direction regarding traction. I wasn稚 able to apply much downward force on the scraper without the wheels spinning.
What is the consensus on either wheel weights or filling the tires with some sort of fluid. Also, would it be ok to add weight to just the rear wheels? I am not sure if that would adversely affect the hydraulic drive.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 9E507F6B-2A61-4631-806F-4A86B0B55892.jpeg
    9E507F6B-2A61-4631-806F-4A86B0B55892.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 3,233
  • 14197345-31E5-4E5F-81F6-653B3475B160.jpeg
    14197345-31E5-4E5F-81F6-653B3475B160.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 2,160
   / Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #2  
I'd pull it backwards. Why? Because if you ever want to float it, you won't be able to if you push it while in float. It will bite in, and the tractor will want to drive up over the FEL arms almost immediately.

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #3  

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #4  
On a side note, have we seen your mini-dozer in another thread? I've seen so many things on TBN that I can no longer recall who has shown whom what! :laughing:

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #6  
Guage wheels on a box blade don't really help with our geometry. Bobcat is just a bit lower on its pivot points, so the push is easier to attain.

I have been mulling a "3 point hitch" idea on my machine, something to pull my box blade and landscape plane.

One thing on the box blade... if you put the connector plate higher up, so the arms are sticking straight out, you might have a chance but honestly pulling is the way to go.

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me?
Hi,
I had (I begrudgingly sold it), a Magnatrac 4800. “Dozy” An amazing workhorse which I used for much of the excavation work on our earth sheltered home. But he was really slow and I needed something that that was quicker for maintaining our driveway. I miss him though.

Last edited:
   / Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #8  
The PT geometry really does not like to push against the ground. I have used a rear blade both ways and in reverse works much better. I also believe it would be easier to mess up the loader arms by going forward - steel strength in tension etc

Ken

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me?
Pulling it is!. Thanks everyone for your responses. The great thing is I now wont have to undo the welding that I already did.
Cheers.

/ Homemade box scraper. Push me or pull me? #10  
I am thinking of buying a northern tool box blade
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660623_200660623
If i welded a hitch tube to it and attached to hitch receiver welded to an attachment plate. Would that be enough to support it and drag when it's shipping weight is listed at 390 pounds? My gut says it would need some lateral support of some kind. I would only use it in reverse. Does anyone have any experience with the power trac box blade? It looks like it weighs about half what this one weighs.