Stump Grinder for PT-425

/ Stump Grinder for PT-425 #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Hi, I have read oodles of posts on various stump grinder threads. Was hoping to see a video of one in action. The problem I am having with mine is that if I put the least amount of pressure on the blade to the stump it (the blade) will stop immediately. The rotation on the blade is spinning clockwise. Should I try reversing the rotation. I have two small fruit tree stumps and at the rate I am going with the grinder each stump would take hours to remove. Something is wrong. I am running it full throttle. Just try to take small bites out of the stump, but really not working.

Thanks
Frank

/ Stump Grinder for PT-425 #2  
Can you show us a video. It is a delicate operation to get it right. What do you call a small stump. The 4 inch ones I can usually do in 5 or 10 minutes. A two foot one can take hours. I don稚 have a video.

/ Stump Grinder for PT-425 #3  
With the 1850's stump grinder, 20" stumps only took me 15-20 minutes at most.

Ken

/ Stump Grinder for PT-425 #4  
So to do this correctly, you should have a pressure meter. I would put one on your PTO Output and make sure you are getting your full PSI. More than likely you are, but sometimes things can get stuck in PTO bypass valve and leave it open.

If you don't have that, you can always go to the old school, and put on your mower and go mow some heave grass. If it cuts well, doesn't bog down too much then I would say the issue is in your Grinder.

In my mind it is one of two things, your motor is bypassing or has a fatal issue, the other is one of your bearings is locking up.

I know little about your grinder, I made my own so.... But this is the method I would use to break it down. Your teeth are sharp, right? And this is a relatively new grinder?

You mentioned changing direction. You are spinning the right way, right? The sharp edge of the teeth are spinning toward the stump (We can get into a converesation about wether your grinder should be spinning forward or back) but confirm you are not runnin the teeth backward. I have loaded my smal chainsaw on more than one occassion with the teeth backward. Nice and embarrassing

/ Stump Grinder for PT-425 #6  
You mentioned changing direction. You are spinning the right way, right? The sharp edge of the teeth are spinning toward the stump (We can get into a converesation about wether your grinder should be spinning forward or back) but confirm you are not runnin the teeth backward.

IIRC, the default setup on the stump grinder is that it is setup to spray chips at the operator in the seat.