So what would make you sell your machine

/ So what would make you sell your machine #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I am following Re Powering, Pump liveability conversations here and was wondering what everyones threshold was on selling. The way I look at this machine is that outside of the cylinders, its all off the shelf parts. Even if my tractor completely tanked (Engine, pumps and wheel motors) I don't think I would be above 20K in repairs which is far less than the 39K purchase price.

For me, I would consider the 1860 or the 1460, something with more lift height and more oomph and use this machine more for just slope management than grunt labor. But I don't know if selling the 1850 would ever really make sense.

/ So what would make you sell your machine #2  
I think the only things that would make me sell mine are:

- getting a new/different one (and I might just keep the old one anyway).
- getting physically unable to do the chores anymore (don't see that happening anytime soon, but we never see it coming, do we?). If it ever comes to that, I'll cry!

Since the things are so easy to work on, and I'm gonna assume some form of hydraulics will be around for the foreseeable future, and I really like the platform, I'm guessing it's my forever machine. It may get repowered, or re-pumped, etc... but the dang thing is so just-right for my needs, I can't ever see parting with it. Ever. Kinda goofy, but you guys know what I'm talking about. Each and every time I get on that thing, I'm smiling while I'm working it.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was out at our rural property pulling logs with the tongs. I come up out of the bottom field, about a 50' hill, pretty steep, dragging a 40' telephone pole-type tree, and there's my neighbors wanting to catch up over the winter. So I drag the log to the pile, drop it with a flick of the joystick and steering wheel, motor over, shut down and say HI! He looks at it and asks "When did you get that?" I said its the same machine I've been brush cutting with since 2002! Where's the mower? At home. See my buckets and forks over there? Yeah. So I drop my QA plate with the 2" receiver, ring, chain and tongs, run over and pick up the forks and run back, all without getting off. He just shakes his head and smiles. :D

He also mentioned he's been having people drive into his property and partying, and that he may have to put up two posts and chain off his drive like I did back in 1989. So I dropped the forks, grabbed the plate with the tongs again and took a nice 30 footer over to his place for him to cut into poles. Took about 5 minutes. Felt good to help him out since he watches our place quite often. :thumbsup:

Anyhow.... I never foresee the need to pull a dirt plow, or pull stumps, so I'm good.

Curious to see what others will say about their Power Tracs. :dance1:

/ So what would make you sell your machine #3  
I think I would only sell if I was upgrading to a 425 or larger. I wish I had the $$ at the time of getting my 422 to go bigger but this little guy has rarely let me down. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and a friend is an actual mechanic and so far between the 2 of us we have not had any problems maintaining/fixing the little bugger and has been fairly cheap to do so when comparing price of parts to that other green tractor.

/ So what would make you sell your machine #4  
As the saying goes...

"You can sell mine, when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

Seriously. Not. Happening.

I might get an 1850, but it wouldn't replace this one.

All the best,

Peter

/ So what would make you sell your machine #5  
I am considering replacing my 422 with a 425 as the engine is about shot. I would like the extra wheel motor torque. I am also considering repowering the 422 with a 25 Hp Kohler. Or maybe do both.

/ So what would make you sell your machine
The thing in my head was the comparison of other "real" tractor owners. Most of them are like "10 years and I get a new one" which I get, plastic has faded, designs have changed. I guess I look at the PT and long for someone to do a major upgrade but in the end appreciate buying a new one buys me nothing new.

/ So what would make you sell your machine #7  
Every time I take my machine through brush so thick that I can't push my body through it, 8' high honeysuckle, 10' high multiflora rose, grape vines, etc... or force my machine over a log, skidding on the belly... I'm really glad there's no plastic or sheet metal on that thing. :thumbsup:

/ So what would make you sell your machine #8  
Nothing would make me see my machine. However, for the right price, I would part with anything that I could legally sell.........with one exception, man's best friend, my dog. ;)

/ So what would make you sell your machine #9  
Maybe a bigger one, or if i couldn't physically use the PT or maybe if somebody offered me too good a deal to refuse. :) Then i'd buy a new bigger one.

/ So what would make you sell your machine #10  
Today a ordered a new Robin Subaru engine just like the one now in the 422. The new adapter plate will not work with my older PT422. I have pumps on both ends of the engine. It was about $1900 and I got it from Power Trac. I will have to cut the shaft off a little.