422 need to tow out of woods

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
Hi all,

I need to tow my 422 a short distance and my documentation does not match the pump well enough for me to be sure what to loosen. I'll include a couple picts here. Maybe the red arrow indicates something to loosen up? :)

Thanks in advanced! pump-label.png Pump.jpg

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #2  
Are you seeking to relieve hydraulic pressure from the machine to be able to tow it without doing damage to a part that is in contact with the ground, or similar?

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #4  
Hi all,

I need to tow my 422 a short distance and my documentation does not match the pump well enough for me to be sure what to loosen. I'll include a couple picts here. Maybe the red arrow indicates something to loosen up? :)

Well you are close but that is not it although you can see it in your picture. It is about 6 inches lower. Look real close in your pump picture and just slightly to the left from what you are pointing at but 6 inches lower. See that little cap sticking out, that is what you want. There will be another just like it on the other side. Remove the caps and attach your hose if you have one (you need the hose for this to work) to both connectors. You might lose some oil when attaching the hose. It will allow the tractor to move but not real fast so take your time.
I am really surprised that they left the Bondioli pump label on it. Most are removed by Power-trac themselves. Hope this helps.

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #5  
Are you seeking to relieve hydraulic pressure from the machine to be able to tow it without doing damage to a part that is in contact with the ground, or similar?

When we have to tow PowerTracs, you have to open a bypass valve on the variable volume pump to relieve pressure, and to keep pressure from building while towing it, or you risk damaging the pump.

On some models, like mine, you also have to install a bypass hose.

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #6  
Yes MossRoad is correct. You will need the bypass hose. I couldn't think what it was called. Didn't know about the bypass valve. MossRoad does yours have one? I don't remember when I was down to Power-trac they said anything about opening a bypass valve. Just install the bypass hose.

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #7  
Hi all,

Thanks in advanced! View attachment 552684 View attachment 552696

It appears you have the hydraulic tram pedal and mine has the hydro back cable tram pedal.

On mine, I have to connect a hose between two tow ports, and that is how the oil bypasses the pump. The manual said to use the bleeder hose to connect the two tow ports. However, the bleeder hose that came with my PT only had a fitting on one end, and just a cut hose on the other. I had to get new hose with identical fittings on each end.

The two tow ports on mine were just plugs. No fittings. So I ended up getting two 90 degree fittings with removable caps, and installed those fittings permanently in the tow ports, to make it easier the next time.

Here's a picture of where my two tow ports are located, with the 90 degree fittings installed, and my new tow/bleed hose installed. If you look to the left of the two tow ports, you'll see an allen cap. That is the bleeder port on mine. Not needed in the towing operation, only when bleeding.

521537d1505272020-dead-battery-broken-exhaust-stud-img_0010-jpg

521538d1505272020-dead-battery-broken-exhaust-stud-img_0011-jpg

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #8  
So it appears your pump is very different than mine.

/ 422 need to tow out of woods
Thanks for the information!. I'm going to look things over with a new eye and extrapolate to my setup. I believe the "cap" that coolconnections mentioned, is actually a bolt head to the lovejoy assembly. Later today, I'll back up a bit and post a new picture or two. And again, thank you all for contributing!