Sizing a PT for accessory farm use

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I will be looking to purchase 'something' in the next year or so.

I was expecting to simply purchase a ZeroTurn, however, after looking, I recognized the ones which are 'good enough' for my farm needs are expensive enough, that I thought I'd look at all options rather than just a mower.

I like the Avant and MultiOne type machines, mainly because of the telescoping lift arm, but they are relatively expensive. I know many of you enjoy the Power Tracs, and I've began thinking these machines might provide more utility than a simple ZT, but still fill the need for farm mowing.

My mowing needs are NOT large field mowing. I have a 15' batwing and a 8' articulated flail for those. However, I have a need for more 'finish' mowing, lawn, roadside, around fences, etc. Probably 2-3ac of mowing strung all over 85ac of farm.

I have also found that my tractor is 'too big' for a lot of the bucket/FEL type jobs I have around, and a smaller machine would be appreciated.

I thought I'd look into PTs as an option, but realistically, having never had one, I don't really know what size would best suit my needs. I've seen some videos on YT, and some are inspiring while others make me cringe. Some seem like the hydraulics can't keep up with the implement (flail mower). I know I can just go bigger and bigger, but then the larger machines are all of the sudden... large footprint machines, which defeats my purpose in other ways.

I don't know what all I 'COULD and WOULD/MIGHT' end up using it for, should I go this route. But I absolutely know I need to have a better understanding of their various abilities and capacities.

So what model/size/etc would you recommend for me? What implements, uses, etc would you add to my thinking in order to help me decide on a purchase?

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #2  
I have the 422 and 48" mower. I wish I had the $$ at the time to get the 425 and the larger mower. Many times I think about selling my 422 and get the 425 but it runs so good now I have a hard time parting with it. I got the rock bucket but should have bought the light material bucket. The grapple would also be a welcome addition. Thought about the brush cutter but my finish mower with a set of blades I use just fro brush cutting and setting the blades a bit higher than normal works for me. Amazing what it will cut.

I finish cut apprx. 2 acres of grass/week. Mower keeps up just fine although it will bog down on steep hills so I try to go down them or in some cases in reverse. Mower may have a problem if the grass/weeds are excessively high. Really high mowing also presents a possible problem with the tire valve stems as there are one on the outside and inside. The inside one could break...but there are remedies to this. While you can run fairly quick while mowing, to get a decent looking finish cut it will take me about 2.5 hours to cut the 2 acres I have around my house. I picked up a fairly large bucket from a local shop and use that to keep with 3 horses worth of manure. E/O week this will take me about 30 minutes to dispose of in the woods(shhh, don't tell EPA!).

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #3  
I mowed my 3 acres with a 425 for years. Then bought an 1845 with mower. Then bought an Exmark Lazer Z used for $1700 and fixed it up. Let me tell you...there's no comparison. The ZTR is exactly twice as fast and I have mostly open space to mow. The mower is 15 years old and still does a great job. Extremely well built and all parts widely available. I just replaced several parts this week that I'd worn out in the last ten years. The new one's aren't built nearly as well but they cost less now than my mower did 15 years ago. Too much competition I guess.

On the other hand, the ZTR is terrible for bucket work. You literally have to carry a 5 gallon bucket between your legs to get anything done. :) The 425 is to bucket work what the ZTR is to mowing...i.e., the fastest machine available. And, I'd imagine a small machine with a quick attach bucket would be amazingly useful on the farm. Like every day useful.

For many years, I saw no need for a Fein MultiTool. And I own a LOT of tools. Then, their patent ran out and I bought a cheap version just to try. I was so impressed that I immediately went out and bought the Fein. Once you have one, you'll find it makes quick work out of some projects that were a pain before. The Power Trac is the same way. You'll find projects to keep it busy.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use
marrt, What is your belief as to the reason the ZTR is twice as fast? Maneuverability? Power?

The mower I was looking at is a Ferris IS3200Z. I like it because of the suspension, power, heavy construction, and 500hr oil change. Pretty much in that order. Locally, however, they run about $13K.

I've looked at the ExMark Laser Z which was the other one in which I am interested. But I liked the suspension of the Ferris better. Might seem like a small thing, but I'd like to minimize the jars and bangs as much as possible.

My concern for the Power Trac is for the most part, power to the implements and maneuverability. If I can't run the mower, etc at full power to maximize its use, then I just don't want to do it. I don't want to be frustrated every time I am doing something, because while I have a 'do all' machine... it does it all in a lack-luster fashion. This is my concern, but my need is something on which I can attach different pieces of equipment, preferentially up front. I want to purchase/build a fence row/post mower which is ANOTHER big reason I need something with good hydraulic power. I just hate under powered implements.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #5  
PT is the swiss army knife of tractors. Good at everything, great at nothing. For every pro, there is a con. Let me be clear, i love my machine and am seriously considering a purhcase of a second PT machine. For the price, nothing compares in my book. All of the PT machine lines are great. I think the 1445 is probably the best all around of the PT line factoring power/manueverability, lift, all around wow vs price. my machine, while very powerful, has more limitations with lift height due to its slope cababilities. 425's and 22's are excellent and I am always impressed with how much the owners of those get done.
If it were me, I would either head over to Tazwell or check out any of the forum members here who live close to you.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #6  
You won't get a smooth non-jarring ride on a 422/425 PT w/o some modifications.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use
Is there a 'system' in determining the #s with frame size and HP?

I am trying to understand the differences between machines and can't really understand the differences/why they are different.

ie, are the 1445 and the 1460 the same frame, but with only different lift height, capacity, and HP? I am trying to understand the frame size options and then understand how different lifts and engines effect price and options.

Also, is there a benefit to either the 14 series vs 24 series (sit on front vs back)?

I don't know whether there is a backhoe attachment for the front end of the 14 series, but definitely on the back of the 24 series.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #8  
You probably need to talk to PT for the party line on why the different models, but the gasoline powered machines are able to hit a lower price point because the engines are cheaper.

The tradeoff with 14XX vs 24XX is that the center of gravity rises. If you have no ditches or slopes, it may not matter to you. Some of us stay alive by using PTs on slopes instead of other tractors.

1430, 1445, 1460 (30HP, 45HP, 60HP / 2 cyl, 3 cyl, 4cyl): yes each one has more power than the one before it. That enables greater lift weight, higher lift weight, and higher tractor weight. The frames are not the same, nor are they exactly scaled, but it is close. If you never go on soft soil, larger weight may not matter to you, if you do...

Generally, the red 14XX, and 18XX tractors have higher slope ratings than the green ones. It is a function of the center of gravity, and also the slope rating of the engine. The Deutz diesels can take a steeper slope. The 18XX are built for extremely steep slope mowing.

Speaking of steeper slope, bigger is not always better; someone here with a 1460 has complained about the weight/power ratio for his slopes. I have only driven a 425, and a 1445, so I really can't comment. On my soils, I am limited more by the soil, than the tractor.

There are a couple of PT owners in your area; I would either visit them or the factory. A trip to the factory sealed it for me, and it also caused me to choose some different attachments based on "play" time with some of them.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

Is there a 'system' in determining the #s with frame size and HP?

I am trying to understand the differences between machines and can't really understand the differences/why they are different.

ie, are the 1445 and the 1460 the same frame, but with only different lift height, capacity, and HP? I am trying to understand the frame size options and then understand how different lifts and engines effect price and options.

Also, is there a benefit to either the 14 series vs 24 series (sit on front vs back)?

I don't know whether there is a backhoe attachment for the front end of the 14 series, but definitely on the back of the 24 series.

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #9  
I have the 422 and 48" mower. I wish I had the $$ at the time to get the 425 and the larger mower. Many times I think about selling my 422 and get the 425 but it runs so good now I have a hard time parting with it. I got the rock bucket but should have bought the light material bucket. The grapple would also be a welcome addition. Thought about the brush cutter but my finish mower with a set of blades I use just fro brush cutting and setting the blades a bit higher than normal works for me. Amazing what it will cut.

I finish cut apprx. 2 acres of grass/week. Mower keeps up just fine although it will bog down on steep hills so I try to go down them or in some cases in reverse. Mower may have a problem if the grass/weeds are excessively high. Really high mowing also presents a possible problem with the tire valve stems as there are one on the outside and inside. The inside one could break...but there are remedies to this. While you can run fairly quick while mowing, to get a decent looking finish cut it will take me about 2.5 hours to cut the 2 acres I have around my house. I picked up a fairly large bucket from a local shop and use that to keep with 3 horses worth of manure. E/O week this will take me about 30 minutes to dispose of in the woods(shhh, don't tell EPA!).

I will be looking to purchase 'something' in the next year or so.

I was expecting to simply purchase a ZeroTurn, however, after looking, I recognized the ones which are 'good enough' for my farm needs are expensive enough, that I thought I'd look at all options rather than just a mower.

I like the Avant and MultiOne type machines, mainly because of the telescoping lift arm, but they are relatively expensive. I know many of you enjoy the Power Tracs, and I've began thinking these machines might provide more utility than a simple ZT, but still fill the need for farm mowing.

My mowing needs are NOT large field mowing. I have a 15' batwing and a 8' articulated flail for those. However, I have a need for more 'finish' mowing, lawn, roadside, around fences, etc. Probably 2-3ac of mowing strung all over 85ac of farm.

I have also found that my tractor is 'too big' for a lot of the bucket/FEL type jobs I have around, and a smaller machine would be appreciated.

I thought I'd look into PTs as an option, but realistically, having never had one, I don't really know what size would best suit my needs. I've seen some videos on YT, and some are inspiring while others make me cringe. Some seem like the hydraulics can't keep up with the implement (flail mower). I know I can just go bigger and bigger, but then the larger machines are all of the sudden... large footprint machines, which defeats my purpose in other ways.

I don't know what all I 'COULD and WOULD/MIGHT' end up using it for, should I go this route. But I absolutely know I need to have a better understanding of their various abilities and capacities.

So what model/size/etc would you recommend for me? What implements, uses, etc would you add to my thinking in order to help me decide on a purchase?

What other tasks besides mowing strips of lawn do you have in mind?

Mowing:
My main use for my PT425 (25HP gas engine, 1500# machine, 2001 model year) is mowing our 1 acre of lawn every week. I have a 60" finish mower and it does an acceptable job for me. Our lawn is not a show lawn, for sure, but I think it looks nice. As long as I keep the blades sharp, it works. I'd give it a B+ for a lawn mower. It can't bag clippings since it's rear discharge. It leaves a windrow on the right side in thick lawn grass. If I mow clockwise, it's not an issue at all. Sometimes I'll pull a lawn sweeper behind me if I want to gather clippings for the garden, or do leaf pickup in fall.

Brush cutting
My 2nd most used implement is the 48" brush cutter. It easily handles anything up to 1.5", and will do larger if you can knock it over. A very dangerous implement that absolutely destroys anything it touches. It will throw a blade if you hit a rock just right. Requires some maintenance every few hours, depending on usage (I abuse mine, so that's why). I cut about 2 miles of trail 6-8' wide several times per year, and cut brush in fields as well. If you keep the blades sharp, it'll do tall grass, but I have to slow down to a slow walking speed. Still, I'm very pleased with it. And knocking everything down and chopping it up before you drive through it is a pleasure compared to my old brush cutter on the 3pt hitch. I've mowed through a field of thistle and ragweed that was well over 13' high with no problems. To measure, I stood on top of my canopy. I'm 6' tall, the canopy is 5.5' tall, I had to reach up a couple feet and still didn't get the top of the weeds, so yes, it was over 13' high with the little machine. No problems at all.

Snow plowing
3rd is snow plowing. The power angle 60" snow blade on the FEL arms is fantastic!

2" receiver on a spare quick attach plate
This has become a very handy tool that I built myself. I can slip in a receiver to move trailers around, or slip in a ring and hook a chain and logging tongs to it. I drag a lot of small trees out or our woods for firewood, and this little PT4255 is like a mini-skidded. Works well. I can only imaging how much more power the larger machines would have.

Pallet forks
I have their set of pallet forks. I use these quite a bit when moving logs around, large rocks, etc..... great implement and low cost, too.

Large light material bucket
This bucket is really handy for moving large amounts of mulch, rock, leaf piles, compost, black dirt.... also a great price.

Small rock bucket with teeth
Looking back on it, I should have gotten the grapple bucket with teeth. It's the same bucket, but with a grapple.

Something to be awar of with the 400-425 machines is the lift height. It's not high enough to load over the side of a pickup truck bed. It wasn't an issue for me because I don't load pickups with loose material. I bring stuff home, but don't load them. Also, we bought a car hauler trailer and that is easy to load from the sides with the little PT.

So be aware of loader height if that is important to you.

Any other tasks you interested in?

I also helped at a therapeutic horse riding facility removing manure from sheds. Works great in tight quarters. Mowed 4 ball diamonds at little league for several years. And helped at church with grounds maintenance.

Don't know if the 425 is big enough for your tasks, but it fits ours to a T.

:thumbsup:

/ Sizing a PT for accessory farm use #10  
Dadnatron, I do water and property management work on farms in Virginia & NC with my pt425. The core four attachments that always come along are

Grapple, brush mower, stump grinder and the 4n1. The forks live in the trailer...

While mossroad is 100% right the brush mower is a potential neighbor slayer, it will also dramatically improve your fence and margin game.... Treat it w respect for ops and maint and your all set.

The finish mower is competent and more rugged than most decks intended for the purpose though I don't do much finish mowing, I find it does well in dryish not overgrown turf. Think golf course rough...

I have also added a hydraulic pole and chain saw to the setup and it really speeds up the maintenance and clean up work I do.

A