Tree Shear???

/ Tree Shear??? #1  

IrTxRx

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430
Just spoke with Scott at power-trac, he said they are finishing manufacturing details on the 10-ton tree shear for the 1445. Cost = $2800, capacity = 5" hardwood and 10" soft wood

Blackwell and others, you are right this is about 1/2 the cost of skid steer tree shears /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

However, only 5 inches of hardwood, I need to cut brush not weeds /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Would I be better off spending $5k on a skid steer 14" tree sheer and selling at a 50% loss in a year or two when i am done?

Can you redesign a skid steer tree shear so it will fit on PT (and then undesign so you can sell it to a skid steer owner)?

"skid steer tree shear," say that 3 times fast /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does a 14" skid steer shear really cut 14" or does it do like the PT (7" on hard and 14" on soft wood)

Most of my juniper trees are multi-trunked and 12-24" in diameter. If I could "nip" my way areound the trunk with the PT shear, then that is fine. If I nip my way areound the brush 5" at a time and have a chewed-up but still standing cedar/juniper, that would be a waste of money.

FYI - I don't want to hire it out, because some areas are too steep for a skid steer and I don't want it clear cut. I will want some brush left to create visual barriers. Otherwise, contracting it out would be way more cost effective.

As always, thank you for your input

/ Tree Shear??? #2  
do u have a bhoe on yer cut????

/ Tree Shear???
polecat,

I wish I had a BH...I wish I had a CUT /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I am in the tractor purchasing (read money saving) phase.

I am not certain that a BH would really work well. Ground is essentially rock and too much digging will tear up the little soil that there is.

See attatched

Attachments

• 452646-3Juniperusa2563.jpg
    452646-3Juniperusa2563.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 374
   / Tree Shear??? #4  
The trees in the picture look like chain saw work to me!

/ Tree Shear???
Bob999 -
I really couldn't find a picture of what they are really like. these have already seen lots of chainsaw work cleaning up all the little limbs. Also, most of mine look like taking all of these trees and pushing them into one stump. A real pain to chainsaw, my 16" has a hard time.

/ Tree Shear??? #6  
I understand exactly where yer coming from bud!!!I live on nuthin but rock...fortunately i now have a cut/fel...and thats it...but i know how to climb and rig...soooo...ive ahd my horses runnin round those trees for a year and a half...all bare roots now ..with claya and rock bout 1.5' down!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

these guys wijll pull over really easy with my cut pullin on a 4 part block nestled up in bout 30' mark..will take 3-4 ata time..wish u and i lived nxt door and i'd help u and u could help me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif my cut is a real godsend!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifwill never be without one agin!!!! u can have the axes and the wheelbarrows!!!...first time in my loife with a real tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 452905-110_1061_1.JPG
    452905-110_1061_1.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 391
   / Tree Shear???
What kind of dog is that on the tree /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Tree Shear??? #8  
where's the dog???? bottom left of front tree????

/ Tree Shear???
I was just kidding (pun) about your goat, what breed is that?

/ Tree Shear??? #10  
Ian,

Here's what a lot of my property looks like. Is this what you're trying to remove?

Attachments

• 453190-Ashe Juniper.jpg
    453190-Ashe Juniper.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 331