PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
It's almost time for my 1st oil change. Has anybody determined what the cross reference filter # would be for the oil filer...preferably to a Purolator? I guess I could always call Jack at Robin but wanted to also see if it's highly recommended to change to synthetic oil at this time? I understand that the oil would not have to be changed as often but wouldn't I still have to change the filer just as often? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #2  
My plan is to run my PT-425 on Dino oil for 100 hours to break in the engine and loosen everything up for best performance, then start using Amsoil synthetic, and the highly rated Amsoil oil filters, to preserve that top performance for as long as possible!! I will NOT extend the drain interval! The savings are just not worth it. "Oil is cheaper than repairs!!" After paying thousands of dollars for a new tractor, I wouldn't then abuse it to save a few dollars on oil!!

Amsoil_0W-30__Series_2000__.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine
How long have you been using Amsoil?? I've read both pro & con on this oil. With my vehicles I always run 'em till they die(ie; rust out) and have never used synthetic oil...but have ALWAYS changed oil at 3k miles(even in freezing cold temps) and have never had any major engine problems...but syn oil makes sense from what I've read/heard....surprised that the 100 hours mark was when you changed over...thought it might be sooner than that?

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #4  
I had used Syntec 5W-50 in all my engines ever since it came on the market. Then, last year, the stores around here stopped selling the 5W-50 so I went looking for a new product. I was impressed with the info I found on Amsoil and have since converted all my applications (Motor Oil, Hydraulic Fluid, Grease, & 2 Cycle Oil), to Amsoil! Using Amsoil 0W-30 is more energy efficient, but allows less wear than Syntec 5W-50! I still change oil and filter at 3,000 miles.

Compared to a car, a small air cooled engine, especially in lawn and garden equipment, works extremely hard in hot dusty conditions, and deserves the best oil I can buy!

I want the engine to get to maximum performance before I lock it in. A new tight engine will run hotter with less power than one that has had a chance to fully break in and loosen up! Most newer cars run best from 15,000 to 25,000 miles. My aim is to maintain that peak performance for as long as possible by switching to Amsoil at 20,000! On the PT-425 I estimate that that point would be 100 hours. (I was told that with the new GMC 6.6 Diesel, it should be run for 100,000 miles, then converted to Amsoil!!)

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #5  
Purilator has a cross reference program on their site, did you try that? Otherwise you can find out if your flter has a bypass valve in it, what psi it is and find an equvalent that way. I like to use an oversized pure 1 filter. I've found it actually keeps the oil cleaner looking 3 times longer than my stock Onan filter did. I use the same filter that fits a 3-3.8L Ford V6 on my 18hp Onan.

This is just an FYI for anybody that has the Robin EH65 engine installed in the PT422......a call to Jack at Robin yielded the response of..."you must install a Robin filter" and he gave me the tele# for Solomon Brothers(800-222-3636) to order the filter....they did not have one in stock(part#2486580100) so I was referred to a local engine shop that may.....the guy at the shop did not have it in stock either but he took the time to try and cross reference it for me...he came up with Hastings#LF410.....I'm partial to Purolator filters so I went to their site and found #L14476. I think that filter is the "premium" filter. This link will take you to the applications page where you can find the automobiles this filter fits in case you want to go to your local car parts store and get the "regular" filter http://www.pureoil.com/ProductFinder.aspx?action=WUG I'm happy with the premium filter(nothings too good for Kermit...that's the name the PT has in our family)...now onto my first oil change...looks like a bit of a challenge based on where the 2 drain plugs are....I'm thinking this will be "let's see how big a mess I can make" time! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just back from the store...it seems the premium filters go by the same part# but with a "P" prefix....for PREMIUM LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Read some good things about WIX and AMSOIL filters too so maybe next time I'll search out these and give them a spin on. Since I noticed last night at the end of mowing that I was over 20 hrs I just went with what was quickly available to me here.

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #8  
Fourteen,
Could you provide us with the specifics about which Amsoil products you use? I looked at their website and cannot find, for example, 10w30 oil.
Thanks,
-Sundown

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #9  
I've pore size tested the WIX, Purilator, Amsoil, and many others. The Wix was roughly equivalent to the Purilator Premium, but the Purilator had almost twice the filtration area for the same cross referenced filter. The Amsoil had a little tighter pore size but had a little less filtration area for the same crossed filter.

Here is a link to the chart that I came up with on the different brands of filters.
Oil testing spreadsheet

Here is the homepage
Oil filter study

/ PT 422 oil filter cross reference for Robin engine #10  
I receive good service from Jacks Small engine and I order my Robin parts from them. They charge $6.39 for the Robin oil filter. They have ignition parts, gaskets, oil plugs, about everything you need. Prices seem reasonable to me.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/robin63_M.cfm

DHS